JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Old rocking chair to Bright Nursing Chair (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=140904)

melissabell 01-07-2013 04:31 PM

Old rocking chair to Bright Nursing Chair

11 Attachment(s)
I always wanted one of these rocking chairs as I love retro stuff and I saw this one outside a local charity shop and snapped it up for €25. I thought it would be an easy project but it didn't turn out that way. The caning was torn on the back and the base but I thought I could replace it but it turned out a big chunk of the edge of the base was broken off too, so that took alot of moulding of plastic wood to fix. I wanted to take it apart and strip it back to the wood and restore it 70's style but that didn't work out unfortunately.

When I tried to dismantle it the majority of the screws were so rusted I couldn't get them out so I decided to paint it. Then I found out I was pregnant and decided to turn it into a nursing chair so I went with bright colours.

I painted it orange as I figured it'd still fit in with my house when the baby was older. I tried sourcing caning but it was going to cost over €30 and I'd have to get it from the US. I opted for fabric and chose fabric that would tie in with the nursery as I can change it in the future. I got this fabric in Ikea for €5 and nailed it all into place. I spent hours at it and was so proud of myself until I sat on it and went right through it!!!!!!!

I changed plan again and made a wooden base for the chair and made a cushion for the bottom instead. Then to finish the back I bought really thick white cord which I pressed into the groove around the back and glued it in place to make it stronger.

Not to everyones taste I know and nothing Like my original plan but it's finally done ;) just waiting for the baby now :)

Carl222 02-07-2013 01:02 AM

chair

great job well made

irishrose 02-07-2013 09:01 AM

That's brilliant!

4bordercollies 02-07-2013 10:51 AM

Incredible!

Amazing turnaround, truly worthy of a picture on Ireland's House & Home magazine - fabulous work.

felix1 02-07-2013 12:48 PM

Rock On !

Love, love, love it. The colours are fab. If I saw it in a shop I would have to have it !!!! Take a bow

melissabell 04-07-2013 03:59 PM

lol I didn't think people would like the colours to be honest. Thanks a million for your comments ;)

leck 04-07-2013 11:35 PM

Beautiful

Great job.It sounds like you hit a lot of hiccups but the finished result is well worth it. I love the Ikea fabric and the orange paint. How did you prep the wood and what paint did you use?

molly99 05-07-2013 12:14 AM

Its Great, a real wow!

Leahsmam 05-07-2013 04:21 PM

great job love it

Leyazile 05-07-2013 10:43 PM

Excellent!

Wow,amazing Melissa! Love the colours and tropical pattern, your baby is so lucky to have a great one-of-a-kind piece in their room. Isn't the 'nesting instinct' fun?!? :) Congratulations!

Chris P 05-07-2013 11:57 PM

from Admin

Very cool and funky, Melissabell!

Many thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Sparklyspark 09-07-2013 04:53 PM

I can see lots of work has gone into this. Splendidly done! :)

daisybones 27-07-2013 04:30 PM

Cool! Looks great.

joanmul 02-08-2013 09:26 AM

What a fantastic job - well done.

joanmul 03-08-2013 05:40 PM

Just a suggestion - if you spray the fabric a couple of times with Scotchgard it will prevent it soiling too much. I don't know where in Ireland you can buy it - I ordered it from England.