JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Green Tips & Green Fingers (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Very large planter/pot for wisteria- any ideas? (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=77628)

diddles 19-01-2010 09:41 PM

Very large planter/pot for wisteria- any ideas?

I have a decking area and want to plant a wisteria up against the wall. A gardener friend told me that I would need a pretty big pot for it but the only ones I've seen that would be suitable are crazy money. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about an alternative planter.

Bawnie 19-01-2010 09:45 PM

Pots?

What about a bin? Like a metal bin, drill some holes in the bottom maybe? Or a black equivalent? Yes pots can be very expensive alright.... Good luck with it.

Trevalhean 19-01-2010 10:23 PM

Planter

What about cutting the top off an old hot tank (copper) and planting it - it will go green with age and will make a feature in itself

Belarus 20-01-2010 10:47 AM

Planter

Hello. If you got a wooden pallet and take it apart you could make a very nice wooden planter which i think would look very well on decking. What do you think. Regards.

Rebelliz 20-01-2010 03:47 PM

Hi Diddles,

I actually have a wisteria growing in an large old milk churn. It was thrown out in the fields, rusting away and I salvaged it and painted it up. It works a treat, so that might be a thought. My husband had just left it out in the fields as a feeder and forgotten about it. He never saw the artistic merit of it :-)!

diddles 23-01-2010 06:44 PM

Thanks everyone, all good ideas! I actually saw some old water tanks in a salvage yard today so I'll see if they're going cheap.

tigerlilly.100 23-01-2010 07:07 PM

Hi Diddles,
I'm not sure if the following information is what you're looking for, but I thought I would throw it in and you can make what you like of it....
....When I was planting my climbers I asked a similar question in my local garden center, and was seriously advised to avoid pots altogether for climbers, as, while it is fine for the first year or two, after that the plant has absorbed all the nutrition from the soil and will be dependant on what you feed it

Anyway I was strongly advised to plant directly into the soil, except for plant that you intend to change in 2-3 years, or larger specimens that you want to keep small, but if you want a climber to thrive it really needs to go into the ground.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide, wysteria is one of my favorites, a real stunner!!
Enjoy!

aerosol 23-01-2010 08:42 PM

I agree that a container wouldn't be ideal,but on decking you don't have much choice.
As belarus suggests using a pallett or two is a cheap and easy way of making a large container which can be stained the same as your decking,making it blend in nicely:) Its just a matter of feeding when needed