View Single Post
Old Posted: 20-10-2008 , 11:27 AM #18
smokeyeyes

I wash everything out before placing in recycling bin. Could you imagine the pong from plastic milk bottles a few weeks later ?! As other posters have said crush the milk containers as small as possible and replace lid, cutting down on volume. Also wash those plastic trays/containers that meat comes packed in and remove the absorbant paper that is stuck in bottom. Would imagine that whole load would be contaminated if you don't do this as any food deposits would rot the rest of recyclables. Recycling can only work if done properly.

I even wash jam/marmalade jars in dishwasher before putting in glass bin ! and place plastic/tin lids in recycling bin. I would think that all yogurt cartons are recyclable, as some are plastic and others are like tetra.

Another tip is if you have say a cereal box to recycle and you have lots of items to place in bin while preparing food (such as packaging) I generally crush items and scrunch loads into box before placing in Green bin, therefore taking up less space in my recycle bin.
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote