View Single Post
Old Posted: 30-11-2008 , 11:11 PM #12
cavalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Foam??? I love using foam for stuff!!!

Its not exactly the same thing but I did use the foam out of an old foam chair-bed that my daughter had in her playroom (was used a lot and had a lot of stuff spilled on it when my daughter was little). I took off the old fabric that was beyond use (and not a nice pattern to start with) and I made a head mask from my daughter for halloween last year...she was a werewolf. I just took the part of the chair bed that folds out for the pillow area and carved out an animal head using a sharp scissors....contantly snipping to ensure that it was smooth. I shaped the ears and teeth from separate pieces of foam and stuck them out with glue and put a few stitches to ensure that they didn't fall off (foam doesn't sew well though, so only a few stitches). I painted the mask using my daughters paints and finished it off by attaching some scrap brown fake fur that I bought from an upholstery shop (also used this to make a little fur jump-suit for her)

I also used foam to make a mini top-hat for the races....again I just carved the foam into the shape that I wanted using a sharp scissors. I made the main part of the hat and the rim as two separate pieces and sewed/glued them together after I hat covered each piece in organza fabric. I tied some ribbon around the base of the mini hat and attached some feathers at the back and a cheap plastic comb to the underside of it.

I also use scrap foam for stencilling and face-painting. There are soooo many ways that you can use foam! I know that some of the guys I'm in college with made cheap foam-cutters as they sometimes use foam for making models and their homemade foam-cutters give a really clean cut/edge!!
fair play to you but thats WAY over my head, l,ll be lucky to sew a square never mind doing all you can do
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote