View Single Post
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 04:19 PM #8
julfren

Default house heating options

Hi again

I understand the feeling about ashes. We have a wood -burning stove in the living room. I hate the dust and ashes it creates though the ashes are compostible and are cleaner than coal. If you want to eliminate solid fuel the options are gas, oil, perhaps night rate electricity where the radiators are heated at a lower tariff at night and they give out the heat then in the daytime but not a cheap way if your house is in any way large. A grant can be got for the pellet stove system.Then if you go the green route there's solar, wind, heat recovery systems which all need to be studied. Solar panels will provide hot water but would not as far as I know be able to provide enough energy to heat the house without some other backup system. If you can install a pellet boiler and have a place to store bulk quantities of pellets, it is not the worst way to go. It is still much more efficient than either open fires or solid fuel ranges and doesn't produce anything like the amount of dust. The cleaning of the boiler is not a very big job I hear, but I have not first hand experience. It would be good if you could get to see a pellet boiler system in action before you have to make your decision.

The very best of luck
Jul
julfren is offline   Reply With Quote