View Single Post
Old Posted: 07-04-2009 , 07:45 PM #5
lislaw

This is actually something that has bothered me for a while now on JT. Cot mattressess should NOT be reused and there is a very good reason.
It's got to do with urine/faeces and vomit trapped in the fibres, which then releases toxins which may be a factor in SID (Sudden Infant Death) Syndrome.
A lot of the newer mattresses have removable covers for ease of cleaning but even these are not recommended to be used for more than one child.
It doesn't matter how often you clean the mattress/cover it is still not recommended to reuse a child's mattress.
I know babies are expensive - I've done it twice now - and I'm not trying to be melodramatic here, but surely a mattress is a small price to pay when it comes down to a factor which could be the difference between life and death.
IMO, cot mattresses should be banned from JT, or at least not included in the baby/child section. Obviously they can be used for other things - we used our first one for the dogs bed and the second was used for padding in the van when my hubby transported motorbikes. But I do think that Admin should consider this issue and possibly check the facts and maybe just place a sticky warning up on the relevant section.

**phew, between the time I'd read the thread and posted my reply the previous reply had been posted. But that's exactly what I was talking about**
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote