View Single Post
Old Posted: 12-04-2009 , 05:12 AM #17
don sull

Default waste oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecurlygirl
Does anyone know what is needed to convert an engine so it can run on waste vegetable oil? What cars are suitable for conversion? How efficient is it? Any info would be great. Also, I've heard of a range that runs on waste vegetable oil. I'll get more info on that and post it up.
There is a friend of mine running his car on waste vegetable oil for the past 2 years and there is no convertsion needed to the engine for it to work.The only thing is that you might need to change the filters more often in your car.His car is a 07 skoda octavia[DIESEL] and he is running it on vegetable oil since day 1.It works by heating up the waste oil and filtering it through a filter cloth until most or all the foreign matter is removed and then adding methanol to thin it out.I think methanol can be purchased quite cheaply.He has saved plenty of money on fuel costs over the last number of years and he made the heating and filteration systme himself,by modifing a steel container ,adding a heating element and a temperature gauge[very important for a safety point] lagging the container to retain heat,and installing an outlet valve at the base of the tank and so that it can be discharged through a filteration systme.Internet might give you more info.
don sull is offline   Reply With Quote