View Single Post
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:11 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudlytops
Hi! Fries,

And yes I am sure that the councils could also provide the same services, but the truss is that people in the privet sector have lower wages, work longer and don't go on strike, it cost less for the government to pass this on to privet companies and it fills some one's pockets, but that is politics.

I don't mind so much the €3 charge for domestic rubbish, but why should we pay extra for electric items when we already paid it at the shops when we bought the item in the first place? This is what I don't understand.
No wander people continue to place electric items in their normal bin.
Regards,
Tudly

Hi tudlytops,

As Fries says, private recycling companies often charge a fee for recycling items but local authorities should not.

Here's the official line from the Dept of the Environment website:

"Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)
The WEEE Directive requires producers to be responsible for the financing of the collection, treatment, recovery and environmentally sound disposal of WEEE from 13 August 2005. It means that final users of such household WEEE are entitled to leave that waste back free of charge, either to retail outlets in instances where a replacement item is purchased, or other authorised collection points, including local authority civic amenity sites, from that date onwards."

More here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/WEEE/

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote