View Single Post
Old Posted: 26-02-2010 , 05:30 PM #6
skinnycat

Hmm, it was a while ago Sandra but I remember light but thorough hand sanding with different grades of paper to remove the water rings and cigarette burns :-) I used black sanding paper (the type used for cars) for the final sanding, Then I went over the surfaces with pure alcohol (hardware store or pharmacy), this raises any stray wood fibers which I then lightly sanded again. I then applied teak oil 'watered down' with turpentine (one part oil to 3 or 4 parts turpentine). I let this dry thoroughly (overnight) and then lightly sanded (again:-). I repeated application until I was happy with the result then after a couple of days when everything was thoroughly dry I had a nice lustre but I wanted more shine so I applied thin coats of beeswax which I diluted with turps (I lightly heated the wax to melt it - CAREFUL!! Highly flammable). When dried again I buffed it to a high shine with very fine steel wool - size 0000 and then an old wooly jumper. Voilą! Here's a pic of the sideboard on the right part of the way through the process.
I'm by no means a furniture restorer so some might have an easier way to get the same results. I just went on instinct until I got the results I was happy with. If you give it a go don't forget to post the results :-)
Attached Images

skinnycat is offline   Reply With Quote