View Single Post
Old Posted: 25-09-2008 , 04:04 PM #1
unapam

Default Green Christmas Presents

My sister asked me to make her something for Christmas instead of a shop bought item. She has caught the "green" bug from me (see? nagging DOES work!)

She wanted something recylced or repurposed and for me to give the money saved to Chernobyl Children's Charity instead of the shops. I think it is a fabulous idea! Anyone want to join me in making Christmas pressies this year?

What you do is make a small gift and give it and the receipt for the donation to the recipient on Christmas Day. You still spend the same amount, but it ismuch better spent on the children of Chernobyl and your friend or relative receives a thoughtful gift as well (not to mention it is "green" and it cuts out the madness and stress of battling in crowds during the silly season)

I will be showing and telling as I get the items finished. Those jars and painted bottles are ideal for this too. I also have some lovely ideas for "green" gift wrapping that I will be showing you.
Does anyone have ideas for things we could make? C'mon everybody, let's have a Green Christmas...

...So I hereby launch the Chernobyl Children/Christmas Gift Challenge!

UPdate:
This is a cushion cover I made for my sister. The fabric came from a book of swatches from a furnishing shop. I tied a chiffon scarf (Chanel logo) from a charity shop and finished it off with a vintage brooch also from the same charity shop. The scarf and brooch are removable to be worn if she likes.

Update: Here are more of the decorations and gifts I made for Christmas. The rag doll is a dog toy for my little dog who just hates the vet. I will be adding more photos of the items I made today and the Christmas cards I have just started on. I have not done any Christmas shopping so far this year! I spend the time saved crafting.

UPdate: I have added more pictures showing the cushions and lingerie cases I made from a book of fabric samples from a furnishings shop. Most of the fabric is swatches of handmade silk and would be very expensive to buy by the yard. (I have added photos of the fabric swatches still in the sample books)
The small squares are lavender pilllows made from Maxi's vintage fabric she gave me a while ago. They are filled with dried lavender heads harvested from my neighbours garden. These smell divine and are perfect to put into a drawer to infuse your garments with a scent of lavender.

Update: These are the Christmas cards I made using scrap fabric (again from the lovely fabric Maxi gave me on JT recently) The words and patterns I stitched using the embroidery function on my sewing machine.

Bibi just sent me a box of trimmimgs and vintage fabrics and I will be doing a "before and after" project and posting pictures. UPDATE: I have added photos of the bits and bobs Bibi sent me and I made a nightdress case from a vintage lacy chair back and trimmings from this lot. Thanks Bibi. I'm working on the roses ladies handkerchief now...it is going to be a lavender sachet.
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links