Thread: Allotments
View Single Post
Old Posted: 11-04-2009 , 01:55 PM #35
JulieSherris

Hi Beermick - if you leave the spuds in the earth after the growing season, they will rot eventually and get eaten by the nasty slugs as well, no doubt - the best way to store them is in the dark, once they have been cleaned off a bit - an old wooden drawer, or anything like that, covered over in the dry & cold will do them no harm whatsoever - if they are anything like ours, they won't be there long anyway!

If you are going to do your spuds in compost bins this year, will they get enough light? I was just thinking that as the sides of the bin go in at the top & are usually black, the light levels might be a problem.

I have mine growing in tyres because as each new tyre goes on, it's open to the rain & light - when I harvest, I do one tyre at a time & then the bottom one is cleared & refilled with fresh soil, ready to start again.

Also, while I'm here - don't forget folks to try not to touch the potatoes & tomatoes without a hand wash or glove change first - tomatoes will get 'mosaick-ed' otherwise!

Julie.
JulieSherris is offline   Reply With Quote