Thread: Allotments
View Single Post
Old Posted: 14-05-2009 , 10:49 AM #40
slunney

Hi all,

Theres a private allotment scheme in Roundwood Co.Wicklow, we've taken one on there and having great fun with it. Theres still a few left and the owner has spaces marked out for more if he gets the interest. You can see pictures on my blog www.plot103.blogspot.com if you want to see what they are like.

We too went to the county councils first but to be honest it was a dead end and I was told there were hundreds on the waiting list and there were no plans to increase allotments in dublin for the next few years so even though they are obliged to give you one if the interest is there they are obviously not bothered. I think if a waiting list of hundreds is not interest enough then I don't know what is!! Don't rely on county council allotments, go ahead and get a private one, you'll pay more in rent but when you break it down its not actually that much more expensive considering a private allotment will come rotovated, with manure and mulch included, and a few extras, county council allotments come with nothing and by the time you add up the cost of rotovating hiring equipment, and getting manure etc onto your plot its pretty much the same. Also we found when the council plots are eventually given up they've been neglected for years and you'll be weeks just trying to clear the site before you get any veg in. You can always put your name down for the council sites and in the years while your waiting for one to come up, rent a private one to at least get some growing done.

Happy gardening
sharon
slunney is offline   Reply With Quote