View Single Post
Old Posted: 07-06-2008 , 08:27 AM #1
ozieandros

Default Re-purposing plus Are you recycle mad?

I am! And as JT is really all about recycling ... Thought I would let you into a few secrets.

For a start compost bins can fit anywhere, don't need to be too big if you have a small garden either! And for the compost weary ... Don't worry if you don't get your green stuff (Grass/Nettles/Old plants etc) on par with your brown stuff (Paper/Cardboard etc). It will adjust itself soon enough. Don't think composting is only about a few items either. You can compost anything and everything, part from meat/fish! I compost left over coffee/Tea, egg shells (Crushed of course) and much more! OK wood will take a while longer but it works! Seen the cost of real good compost lately? It's really worth your while making your own. And while on this subject ... Just a wee tip extra. Compost once used only lives for 6 weeks as nutrients die but you can rejuvenate it with a dollop of farm yard manure!

Old rugs too stained to give away, applied on a bit of soil will actually work a treat? I had a bad patch in the garden (Leitrim soil is clay ARGH) So I dug a hole about 8 inches deep, popped a tatty old rug, covered with soil and know what? It worked! You want to see the trusses (Flowers) on my tomatoes! Thanks to an old battered rug that i would have felt way too ashamed to give away!

I have plastic bottles cut in half, filled with water for the birds. Just pierced two bits to tie a bit of string to attach them to trees, not on the outside but deep into foliage. Some birds are a bit shy! Some of my timid wild birds can drink any time and in privacy.

When cutting branches of a tree ... Get a mulcher! Mulch looks nice in a garden, helps preserve a little humidity when some plants could do with it! And when it comes to silly things like old kitchen gloves or whatever I fill them with plaster, leave it to dry and make the most bizarre things you could think of but it's a talking point with friends and family! Remember Thing? The Addams family pet? I got one in one of my planter made using an old garden glove (Pic). It had a hole hence good for the bin so I covered the hole with tape and voila!

I have become so recycle mad that my boyfriend sleeps with one eye open just i case I should find something of his to recycle while he sleeps LOL

JT is cool because it enables us all to share, what we have to give, what we need, knowing that this contributes to good recycling, better than take your dogs for a walk and find someone's unwanted fridge/Washing machine or other equipment dumped where it shouldn't be. I know it is strictly disallowed, sadly some people still do it.

Happy recycling everyone!
JT's right too! The more people know of the site the more stuff we can find/Pass on to someone else! I've printed posters and am posting them just about everywhere where someone will accept to pop one up for me LOL
Attached Images

ozieandros is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links