View Single Post
Old Posted: 08-06-2008 , 04:48 PM #5
erica

Default Green Schools

Last week my children arrived home from school with a bag from Greenschools.ie Basically, they collect clothes/phones/ink cartridges for recycling and the school gets a donation for every bag/phone/cartridge collected.

The following is from their website:

"What we want

Mobile Phones
We collect all your unwanted old mobile phones. Bags 4 school will ensure these items are recycled in an eco-friendly way. We will donate €2.50 for every mobile phone collected.

Clothing
We will collect your unwanted clean ladies, gents, children's clothing, shoes, handbags, and household linen such as blankets and duvet covers. Fill as many bags as you wish and return to your school collection point. €2.00 will be donated to your school, or a charity of the school's choice, for each bag filled.

Ink Cartridges
We also collect all makes of printer cartridges. Bags 4 school will ensure these items are recycled in an eco-friendly way. We will donate €0.25 for every printer cartridge.

How much do we pay?
We pay the best market price and fix this each term.
The current price is:
€2.00 per bag
€2.50 for every phone and
25 cents for every Cartridge.

Contact us NOW"

Some interesting facts from the Greenschools.ie website about recycling:

"The average mobile phone user will replace their handset once every 18 months. It is estimated that less than 20% of all unused mobile phones in Ireland are currently recycled.

The cadmium in the battery from a single old phone could seriously contaminate 600,000 litres of water, enough to fill a third of an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Lead - which effects the immune, endocrine and central nervous systems, and cause serious damage to children's brains - is used to solder components to the printed wiring boards.

Brominated flame retardants, used in wiring boards and plastic cases, have been associated with cancer, liver damage and problems with the neurological, immune and endocrine systems.

Beryllium, which can cause serious lung damage, is used in contacts and springs and highly toxic dioxins can be emitted if the phones are incinerated in waste plants."

It's scary stuff and really would encourage recycling. It's so easy to bin stuff without a second thought but really, it doesn't take much effort to recycle.I think it is a fantastic way of recycling and helping our local school in the process.

I also think that Jumbletown could be promoted through schools, i.e. a leaflet to each household, so that items could be exchanged within one's own area rather than givers/receivers having to drive long journeys for items.
erica is offline   Reply With Quote