View Single Post
Old Posted: 15-02-2010 , 12:02 AM #1
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default skirt from jeans

Anyone remember the skirts made from jeans? We used to get them in the Dandelion Market (now I'm showing my age) also shoulder bags from old jeans. I made two skirts for my daughter from her old jeans, one denim the other black cord. They were greatly admired when she wore them to college and she said 'they're my recession skirts--my Mum made them out of my old jeans'. Lets resurrect the old skills, don't let the recession get you down. Have taken a photo of black skirt so don't know how well it will come out. Basically you cut the legs off at about the knee, unpick the inside seams right up to the crotch, this leaves two funny pieces that you also unpick and cross over till the material is flat, then stitch in place. You will be left with something that looks like a skirt but with a triangle missing front and back. Just cut out a piece from the legs you have cut off, pin and stitch into place,try it on yourself or whoever you are making it for and decide what length you want it, cut off excess length and hem . you should now have a new skirk but comfortable as it already knows your shape having been your jeans!! To make a bag you cut off the legs, stitch accross the end, use the legs to cut long strips of material for a shoulder strap and attach at either side of waist. You now have a shoulder bag with four outside pockets--handy for phone, keys etc. and lots of room inside for all your other stuff. My inner hippy is not dead, just sleeping!! The Dandelion Market--afghan coats, cheesecloth shirts, indian beads and the smell of incense--ahh memories,LOL.
Attached Images

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links