Thread: heating houses
View Single Post
Old Posted: 13-02-2009 , 11:12 AM #29
waterwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe123
I am in desparate need of advice about my heating. My ex in his ultimate wisdom(I think he must have been on something at the time) took out a perfectly good fire,back boiler etc a few years ago. He replaced this with a gas combi boiler which uses gas bottles at 111euro a pop. I am lucky to get 2 weeks out of these at the moment and the house is instantly cold as soon as heat is turned off. Can anyone suggest a solution? I would ideally like to get the fire back in but heard it is quite expensive. I am now a single parent and the wonderful ex has washed his hands of any financial resposibility to his family. I know that some free websites sometimes have some of the parts that would be needed. Any ideas anyone as you jters seem to be a pretty resourceful bunch.

hi there
In your situation i would definitely consider putting back the fire and back boiler - but in the meantime if you could get your hands on a little stove - you can just literally put in front of where the fire would normally go - just push it as far back as it goes and then the only thing you will need is a metal plate with a hole in it for the fumes from the fire to go up the chimney - very easy to do - i went to a blacksmith and he did it for me - cost about 20 euro.
The stove we got for about 500 euro but it is the best investment - we use less coal and wood etc. They say with an open fire 80% of the heat is lost up the chimney and only 20% comes out - with the stove 80% of the heat is given off into the house and 20% up the chimney - it heats our whole house - ive only turned the oil on twice this winter and that was cos we ran out of coal - pm if you want to know more!!
waterwave is offline   Reply With Quote