View Single Post
Old Posted: 19-09-2014 , 10:38 PM #9
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Goatstown, D14
Posts: 76

Sure, will do my best.

Started off by cutting them down to size a bit, which gave me the wood to fill in the fronts where the knobs are for the cooker, and infront of the sink.

Next I routed out the hole for the sink (Balti dish from Dealz, 1.49 :o). Similarly routed out the hole in the oven door for the clear perspex. The door from the sink side became a shelf in that unit under the sink.

Made the taps from some pine, the base is routed out underneath, to hold microswitches for the leds and to trigger the sound (sound is a unit purchased in ebay, records a sound and then plays it back. Made some custom circuits to trigger the lights for a couple of seconds).

The spout is 2 layers of pine sandwiched together, with a groove routed through the middle before glueing together for the led wires. The tap handles are made from some ceramic drawer knobs I had lying around, with some plastic joint screw-connectors from some plumbing fittings (e.g. top left item in Loads of coats of spray paint to make it silver. Knobs for the cooker are also drawer pulls, spray painted black.

The hobs are routed out of the top of the locker too, and red perspex placed into the holes (after hours of sanding to make them fit!). The lighting for these comes from strips of leds (e.g. which are mounted inside an old coffee tin to keep the shape. Diffused with a circle of white paper under the red perspex. Red light for the oven is also one of these stuck to the roof.

Not visible in the pics, theres a magnetic switch mounted between the two cabinets which turns on a white light in the oven also, again routed out.

The back and shelf is 12mm ply, the tiles are routed out to give a bit of depth rather than just painted on. Made the curtain, and the "window frame" (there's curtains to be still hung for that). Couple of hooks to hang the utensils. Oven handle and towel rail are kitchen handles from ikea.

All painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, as I was led to believe that it would adhere well to melamine without needing to strip/sand it. Found it to be very soft, didn't adhere well to the melamine at all, but did adhere well to the bare plywood. Was very easy to scratch paint off, so after i got the final coat on I put on 2 layers of Polybond to seal it all, try stop it flaking when little one hammers it :D

Think that's "all" I did. Lots of time messing with the electronics to get it as I wished, also trying to figure out the switching mechanisms etc. And as I said having to disassemble it every night was a pain in the proverbial, but had to be done.

Hope that gives enough information. I found plenty of plans and stuff on pinterest, also has some super free plans for all sorts of cool things, but I decided to use the cabinets as a base instead of fully scratch building. Next time though I think I'd do a scratch build, plywood is so much nicer to work with and finish than chipboard.
billythedragonkiller is offline   Reply With Quote