ok here's an Update :)
I soaked the 3 remaining hooks in lemon juice for 3 days to eat away the rust, rinsed and then painted with 2 coats of matt black metal paint. I didn't have a coat stand in the hall so I thought I'd use some of the old wood and the hooks. The original plan is pictured but it didn't work :( I used the shelf off the front of the hall stand and the lid off the compartment to make a shelf / backing for the hooks. But when I put the hooks up to it they were too big so I used another piece of the salvaged wood and placed it below the shelf so it looks more like a type of unit :)
I'm going to either attempt to carve a piece of wood or use a piece of drift wood to adorn the shelf backing to hide the wood filler that cover the screws attaching it to the wall but haven't found the perfect piece yet so watch this space.............................