View Single Post
Old Posted: 30-05-2010 , 12:05 AM #21
sa14a1

Default Chickens

Hi
Congrats to you on your new family..I too only started last year with 4 'ladies' and a bantham cock (Charles),we then decided to expand and went to some poultry shows and bought some more..Please please be careful when buying from these shows as alot of the birds are very sick and some people are only out to make a quick buck!!!however the ones that i bought were sick and passed it to the others and we ended up buying 3 different antiboitics to get them well again..so please if you do decide to expand please buy from a reputable breeder (we buy ours from Avondale poultry in Cork)and make sure your hens are vacinated(which good breeders normally do) and stick with the same breeder..it is also a good idea to confine your hens in another area for a period of 10 days before introducing them to your flock.Also please cut down on the treats as this can interfer with laying as some scraps can leave them egg-bound, we get a bag of hen treats (corn mixed with oats and barley)from a pet store and it is E5.95 and the bag lasts around 2 months, just give them @1oz in the evening before the go to bed as it also helps to fill them up and keeps them warm for the night. Also do not forget to give them mixed grit as it helps to make the egg shells harder...and finally always thank your girls for the gifts (eggs) that they give you..i hope i havent overwhelmed you with information but we to had to learn the hard way and now we are blessed with happy hens. If you need any more info please ring me on 085 1354743 id be happy to help in any way...best of luck
sa14a1 is offline   Reply With Quote