Thread: Allotments
View Single Post
Old Posted: 28-11-2008 , 06:13 PM #6
cascais

Default allotement

yeah thought about that too, but i can t find any information on the kildare county council for this area, i would be willing travel to have one, but obviously within reasonable distance...

so far managed to grow in my back garden :
lettuce, parsley, mangetout and green beans ( or runner beans depending what you call them), they were very good, but again with my little novice experience left it too late to put the sticks and it was very tricky to detangle them ( the peas anyway..., so never really got peas as such...)
the luttuce worked great but planted too much too soon and had way too much, couldn t eat it all, and then had none... he he he..
tried tomoatoes but didn t get any luck with those, planted them too late i think.
i also had some green peppers ( dwarf variety) but they didn t get very big ( lol i know the name says dwarf, yeah thought they would be a tiny bit bigger so i left them in the soil too long ). they should work next year..
also have some cabbage at the moment but they are attacked by slugs so not sure how long they ll last (trying to be organic).
i d love an allotement to try potatoes and carrots and some other veggies, ( you need more than a back garden for spuds)...

will try again the back garden next summer again before i tackle a big allotement, as it is a bit more manageable for me i think..

everyone needs to remember though that the allotment will take more time than you think... so you need to have a bit on your hands, water everyday if sunny, put poles for the climbing stuff and for pruning...

all the best

cascais
cascais is offline   Reply With Quote