View Single Post
Old Posted: 01-07-2013 , 04:31 PM #1
melissabell

Default Old rocking chair to Bright Nursing Chair

I always wanted one of these rocking chairs as I love retro stuff and I saw this one outside a local charity shop and snapped it up for €25. I thought it would be an easy project but it didn't turn out that way. The caning was torn on the back and the base but I thought I could replace it but it turned out a big chunk of the edge of the base was broken off too, so that took alot of moulding of plastic wood to fix. I wanted to take it apart and strip it back to the wood and restore it 70's style but that didn't work out unfortunately.

When I tried to dismantle it the majority of the screws were so rusted I couldn't get them out so I decided to paint it. Then I found out I was pregnant and decided to turn it into a nursing chair so I went with bright colours.

I painted it orange as I figured it'd still fit in with my house when the baby was older. I tried sourcing caning but it was going to cost over €30 and I'd have to get it from the US. I opted for fabric and chose fabric that would tie in with the nursery as I can change it in the future. I got this fabric in Ikea for €5 and nailed it all into place. I spent hours at it and was so proud of myself until I sat on it and went right through it!!!!!!!

I changed plan again and made a wooden base for the chair and made a cushion for the bottom instead. Then to finish the back I bought really thick white cord which I pressed into the groove around the back and glued it in place to make it stronger.

Not to everyones taste I know and nothing Like my original plan but it's finally done ;) just waiting for the baby now :)
Attached Images

melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links