Thread: heating houses
View Single Post
Old Posted: 05-01-2009 , 08:42 PM #15
4eyes

Default Keeping Warm

Invest in a few vests or fine t-shirts, they work wonders , also over the knee socks, and wear two pairs of panties at a time, no I am not joking, it is marvellous.
I am sitting here with my over the knee socks, trousers and t-shirt and a big woolleen hand knit jumper (Bought at a market stall for E4) only heat on in my computer area is the wardrobe radiator and I keep the wardrobe door open.
Look in places like TK Max or Dunnes Stores and invest in 100% wool jumpers, look at the sheep in cold weather.
Reduce your heating thermostat by a good few degrees say 10 but the secret is to leave on a little longer as it is more econimical to keep a room warm than to heat it from cold.
Good news heating oil is cheaper than it has been for years.
Save up over summer if you have a chimney and buy a little non boiler multi fuel stove for your living area, it's also great for getting rid of all those cardboard boxes, newspapers etc etc, and will also keep you warm and of course will cook your stew or heat water for a cuppa, to be ever so thrifty when water has boiled put it in a flask for the morning cuppa will boil in electric kettle in a few seconds, or even cheaper heat in a saucepan on hob. There are lots of ways to economise, given a long hard look at all we waste.
Buy 2 hot water bottles!!!
4eyes
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote