View Single Post
Old Posted: 31-01-2009 , 08:45 PM #22
frantasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lislaw
Thanks for that Frantasia. My poor tomatoes grew really well last year. I got them in a nice sunny spot against the wall for extra warmth. It looked like a get a good crop at first - loads of little green toms. They grew to a good size but then just as they started to ripen they seemed to rot on the plant. Some of them never even ripened. I was very disheartened especially since the year before I got one tomato from four plants!! I suppose I did a bit better last year - I managed to get 2 tomatoes!!

Any suggestions as to why this happened? Is it just lack of sun and too much rain at a critical time or did they get some tomato disease or other?

Lisa

I'm no expert, Lislaw - but I think a lot of tomatoes didn't ripen last year (mine didn't, others I know also said the same) - I got the small green ones as you said, but I guess there wasn't enough sun, that was my take on it.

Someone else mentioned blight, I suppose that might be a possibility - but I think blight gives blackened and /or withered stalks and spotting on the fruit - again, I may be wrong here, as I don't know a lot - my gardening maxim is plant 'em and see what happens.
frantasia is offline   Reply With Quote