View Single Post
Old Posted: 07-01-2009 , 11:50 PM #16
jenniferalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyD
I seen a programme the other night about a guy who was aiming for two weeks of it...living for free. He was sleeping in a park for the first or second night :-(

Then someone he never met before offered to put him up in their house...he learned which wild foods he could eat, and trawled through skips and commercial bins for food. You'd be surprised at the stuff he found in a bin outside Marks and Spencers. Clothes, boots, a bike, a chocolate cake not even opened....wow.

Isn't it amazing what people throw out? You only have to come to this site to see what people would have to otherwise throw away... mind boggling.

A year? I'm a bit sceptical of that, to be honest... Obviously doesn't have any children...they are the most expensive things in the world!

Hi Mandy, it is amazing what ppl throw away. My friend worked in a restaurant for many yrs and she used to tell me what they did with the food, half hr before closing time they bined all food there, staff was not allowed take any food home altho it was going in the bin.

I know loads of ppl who work in shops and a lot of things go in the bin. Odd stock and partly broken items are usually thrown away. I often buy things for cheap if it is partly broken eg recently i bought the wrought iron bottom part of a lantern that holds a candle for 10c just because the glass was broken they were going to throw it away. i dont even need the glass and my candles fit perfectly in it! Odds are thrown in the bin too eg stuff like pyjamas, tights, socks, underwear are often sold as multi packs and when someone wants to look at an item in the shop they pull out the whole packet and items get mixed up etc and shop assistant might not be able to repackage them. Lots of these sort of things get thrown in the bin, but if ur in the shop regularly u will be able to buy such items for 1.00 or 50c etc if u spot them on shelf before they go in the bin
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote