View Single Post
Old Posted: 05-12-2008 , 10:56 PM #6
HappyHunter

Hi Kiara, I was in a similar position to you two and a half years ago regarding finally getting my very own home, as a result of private personal events.

I had been renting for 6 years at that stage but the last place I rented was unfurnished so I had had to come up with furniture for the place. Jumbletown did not exist 8 years ago so I did not have the option of looking here. I bought what I needed 2nd hand and kept it to a minimum, two beds, a suit of furniture, a leatherette sofa I saved from a bonfire (in perfect condition). The house was in terrible condition so whatever I spent was done so on paint and curtains to brighten the place up. Friends who came to visit liked my minimalistic style, no overcrowding with furniture and so on.

I 2nd The Mammy's advice. Make the place comfortable and don't rush into getting loads done - take your time to get a feel for the place and write down a list of the items you really need for each room and stick to it, otherwise you will end up having too much stuff and not enough space.

I have actually painted my entire interior the same throughout, because it saved me money. Get a feel for the place and know what rooms get sun and so on. In time you can decide on different colors for different rooms.

Plan to grow your own vegetables if you have even a small space available - it will save you money in the long term.

Have fun and take your time :) Good Luck in your New Home.

Kathy