View Single Post
Old Posted: 22-04-2009 , 01:22 PM #1
cianer

Default Using sheep to trim the lawn?

My wife & I moved into a fixxer-upper house on 1/2 an acre 4 years ago and have spent all our time sorting the house out with the result that most of the garden is now a wilderness. We've managed to cut the grass once or twice a year so there's no trees or bushes, but the grass is mixed in with various weeds and is pretty high and hard to cut.

We were thinking of getting a sheep to keep it down but are both city slickers and know nothing about care of sheep. Anyone got any suggestions? The plan was to leave the sheep have free roam of the garden (which is fenced) and wait for it to trim down the grass. Searching on the internet there are lots of suggestions for buying a lamb in spring and sticking it in the freezer come autumn, but we are vegetarian so that's not really an option unless we feed it to the dogs. Long term my wife has plans for the garden that involve lots of bushes & wildflowers and not too much grass so when that comes to fruition a small lawnmower will do us.

Can anyone give me suggestions/tips on whether this is a good idea or not, and preferably give me input on what kind of care & attention a sheep needs in the winter. Thanks!
cianer is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links