View Single Post
Old Posted: 15-10-2008 , 09:26 PM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormie
They are some crazy stats Chris :(?
I'm sure some folks would dispute them -- my original post was based on an Irish Times article. Let's hope they are woefully inaccurate but I doubt it.

Quote:
Do you know if bringing a pc do a bring facility is "recycling it properly" or is there more responsibilities further down the line in order to get it recycled properly??
The Dept of the Environment recently reported that 83% of all Irish recyclable material is "necessarily exported." (We simply don't have the facilities here and we are unlikely to have them because of "economies of scale" etc.) One presumes that Irish PCs are sent to reputable recycling companies abroad but some may end up in developing nations, providing us with grim pictures like on this thread:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4528

Most people figure that responsibility for their old PC ends when they bring it to the recycling centre, and leave it in the capable hands of the "experts." Is there anything else we can do? I'm not sure...

Quote:
So where are the other 97% and who's responsible for them?
Does anyone really know? Most are probably piled high around shanty-towns in the developing world. And who's responsible for them? All of us, I guess, but out of sight, out of mind...

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote