View Single Post
Old Posted: 22-04-2009 , 12:22 PM #18
cianer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeby
Hi Jim, thanks for the information, just got to it now. I'll be going mad with cotton buds now there's a few cd players that need cleaning. My son's play station 2 is not reading discs maybe this is the problem with this too, so I'll try to find the eye and get it cleaned.

Hey Moeby,

The Playstation 2 takes the cds in via a drawer so you can't get at the laser without taking the whole thing apart. Some CD shops sell a lens cleaning CD that basically has little brushes sticking out of it, as the CD plays the lens passes under the brushes which clean it. I have one that I got years ago for £10 and it does the job. The cotton-buds-and-alcohol is preferable as you can ensure a thorough job is done but if you don't want to take the PS2 apart this is a good alternative. Not free but cheap enough.

In the case of your son's stereo you mentioned the lid doesn't close properly. Lasers, even low-powered ones used in CD & DVD players, can blind you permanently if you look at them so there are failsafes built into these machines to prevent this. In your case I would imagine the stereo is refusing to turn on because the lid won't shut. See if you can fix the lid so it shuts properly before you go down the cotton bud route for that particular machine.

Slan,
Cian
cianer is offline   Reply With Quote