View Single Post
Old Posted: 01-09-2011 , 10:03 PM #29
shonastar

Thank you once again to everyone who commented, in reply to the last post, I didn't do any courses in mosaics, but I did have an advantage in having a few tilers in the family, (they are usually very helpful in taking the mickey and pointing out mistakes lol!).
On a serious note, I opened a tile shop last year, to anyone who is thinking of doing something like this, my advice would be to pass by your local tile shop, explain what you would like to do, and ask about adhesives and grout, they will advise you on the best materials to use and answer any questions you might have. You can buy ready mixed buckets of adhesive if you don't want to mix it yourself.They will also have broken or discontinued tiles in bins or skips that they will be happy to get rid of.
As for design, if you're going to tile over a wall, any traced out designs will be hidden by the tiles, so get practising, try out a few different designs with different colour markers. It can be as hard or easy as you like.
As always, if anyone needs broken tiles and can make it to Dungarvan, send me a PM and I'll do my best to help, Shonastar x
shonastar is offline   Reply With Quote