Thread: heating houses
View Single Post
Old Posted: 10-01-2009 , 04:00 PM #20
JulieSherris

Our house was built in the early '60's & not a lot has been done to it since, by the looks!

We moved in last September, so it's our first winter here... during the summer we are planning on making sure the loft is insulated...properly! New radiators all round, as ours have been painted with emulsion, several times... and double glazing.

We have a stanley stove which provides all of our heating & hot water, & I cook with it too, I can't see the sense in wasting it by using the leccy oven & gas hob....

We've heavy lined curtains at all windows, & they are closed at dusk... curtains at the front door to stop draughts.

A friend of mine pops her hot water bottle inside a pillowcase, on top of a pillow for her feet while she's at the PC - keeps her feet warm & toasty & up just high enough to be out of the draughts.
Also, for all of you who suffer with cold hands at the PC, try knitting or buying fingerless gloves or long wristwarmers.... and wearing lots of thinner layers will keep you warmer than 1 or 2 bulky knits....

If you're outside in your wellies & suffer from cold feet, try pulling on 2 pairs of socks with a small plastic bag between... and if wearing garden gloves, try pulling on a pair of tight vinyl gloves first - this stops the wind & cold getting in too!

Can you tell I don't like being cold? Haha!
JulieSherris is offline   Reply With Quote