View Single Post
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 01:31 PM #38
Ecoprincess

Default This weekend was the weekend

Well Is aid I would post what I was doing in the garden to help the newbie gardeners.

When I got out into the garden for the first serious session this year:

I cleared and weeded the beds sorting leftovers for the goats, compost and kitchen.

Still in the garden for eating are Potatoes, Carrots, Spring onions, Kales and Early Purple Sprouting and Kohl Rabi.

I planted 160 onion sets, and around 20 garlic and covered them with a layer of Goat manure. The rest of the beds are ready for planting now except the ones which are still occupied by the produce above.

Every year I re-evaluate production and have decided that this year the Rhubarb is in a too damp spot so I will move it to a bed, which I now use for my cuttings, apples last year as I cut down an old tree which roots from cuttings. So I will work on this bed when the cuttings are in their next stop a larger bed in the field, for two years before planting out. The old rhubarb bed will be for more herbs, so I will keep piling composting stuff on to the bed in an attempt to raise it out of the wet, in the mean time I will pray for a good summer for the rhubarb.

The beds for the beans and peas have their stakes in, wigwams and rows.
In the greehouse I sowed 60 Broad beans, 70 dwarf beans, 30 pole beans and 10 parsley; in the heat indoors 6 peppers and 6 cucumbers. 8 Tomatoes were sown in January in the heat, but you can buy plants cheap enough anywhere in a few weeks.

I also extened my bed system in the greenhouse and took an apricot out of its pot and planted it in a bed along with thyme, rosemary cuttings to go in the garden later and some cyclemen. In hanging baskets I put ivy cuttings which I had taken last autumn these will be filled with flowers herbs and hanging tomatoes; put up the canes for the tomatoes to climb and e tied too.

I will buy, on my way home tonight, compost for the greenhouse beds which I change every 3 years to keep disease at a minimum, in the bottom of the beds Iput goat manure to keep the whole thing fed and to produce large sweet fruits.
Ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote