View Single Post
Old Posted: 22-04-2009 , 07:27 PM #3
paprika

Hi cianer,

I've read it too, that sheep is good for keeping the grass down. And if you look at any fields with sheep you can see it's right. We were thinking about it too when we moved into our cottage three years ago, but at the end we opted for goats. Goats are fine for keeping down the grass too, the only problem is they are rather browsers than grazers, so they prefer the trees and bushes (and flowers in windowboxes, the compost from windowboxes, the drying clothes...) to anything on ground level. They eat a mouthful here and there from the grass and weeds, while sheep start at one point and they keep eating so you'll end up with a nice even lawn which is fertilized as well with the output.
We managed to have the same effect with the goats only when tied them up, but I'm not sure that was really good for them. And they jumped REALLY high... unfortunately over the fence to the neighbour's freshly planted hedge. Munch, munch...
Not sure about care for sheep, but as usually they are out on field all weather I would imagine they need only some supplementary feeding with feed nuts and the trimming once a year. But any shepp farmers in your area could give you plenty of advice.

Good luck and regards,
p
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote