View Single Post
Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 07:56 PM #1
Country Mother

Default Energy saving tips (Eco-Kettles etc.)

Hi everyone,

With the current economic downturn, and increase in ESB charges by 17% and more increases due from 1st January 2009, I have started to make alot of energy saving changes in our home:-

(1) Stopped using the tumble dryer. Pulled out the plug and now it
remains idle. Dry clothes on a clothes horse which was supposed to
be a shoe rack from Argos. Leave the clothes horse in living room at
night when fire is lit. During the day if I can't put out clothes to dry, I
leave the clothes rack in a spare room that I am not using and the
will dry slowly until they can be trasnferred to living room at night. No
one sees them or the clutter they can cause.

(2) Fitted energy saving bulbs, even to bedside lamps.

(3) Instead of using the table lamps in the living room areas, when I am at home in the evening/night, I light tea lights and put them in holders. They cast a lovely warm glow and cost very little. You can buy pkt of 24 in any pound shop for 2 euros. They last for ages especially if you freeze them first.

(4) When we turn on the oil heating, I pull the curtains in the rooms, close the doors and in the rooms that we don't use, we only turn on the radiators there every 2nd night. My son is even beginning to get used to having been told to close his bedroom door!

Evaluation: My recent ESB bill was down 25 euros and that was with the new increase since September. If that was my old bill it would have been 40 euros down. It works and you have to persevere and then it becomes automatic with you.... you just adapt.
TRY IT EVERYBODY AND SEE HOW MUCH YOU SAVE ON ESB ALONE

Country Mother
Country Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links