View Single Post
Old Posted: 11-12-2011 , 08:56 PM #21
melissabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodius
Hi Melissabel, I'm looking at your bathroom in admiration! I love your colours too. I want to remove the tiles from my bathroom, but everyone said it'd be really difficult to get the glue off. They probably date from the 70s or 80s, one partitiion wall and two external walls. Just wondering what your opinion is. I was told I'd have to take the plasterboard off and replace before tiling on top of it. Many thanks
H

Well if you try a bit and see, mine weren't done very well to begin with . I used a wallpaper scraper and a hammer to get them off, but definitely put some old blankets etc down before you start popping them off as falling tiles mark and chip your bath or shower tray, I learned the hard way :(
Also definitely wear goggles as bits of sharp porcelain fly off and the last thing you want is to get that in your eye!!!

The grout came off easy enough but mind your hands I've ended up with more than a few grazed knuckles.
I just took tiles off my other shower and the adhesive was more difficult to remove especially on one wall. I've levelled it as much as I can so I'll just have to lose a few millimetres on that wall. I didn't do damaged to the plaster board except the odd nick etc but you can fill that. Try a couple of tiles and see, sometimes they all come away from the wall in one go lol.

If you make a hole fill it, I wouldn't really worry too much, if I can do it anyone can :)
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote