View Single Post
Old Posted: 30-09-2011 , 02:53 PM #1
melissabell

Default Old Half rotted Hall Stand ( Updated)

Hi,

This was in my Mums hallway when I was small and it was old then so I'd say it's at least 40 years old. However it's been in the shed rotting away for the last 20 years. I decided I'd re-purpose what I could salvage from it for bits around our house. From the pics you can see the bottom 7" at least were rotted through so there was no way I could re-instate it as a hall stand, also some of the decorative wood was missing or damaged and the hooks on one side were all broken.
I have a thread called First time tiler gone mad where I did up my bathroom and I decided I''d use parts of it for a Bath panel and a mirror frame. Other parts will be used to make a matching under sink unit but I'm going to get some professional help with that when I can :)

When I started dismantling it I found out it was solid wood which was brilliant as I thought it was just veneered. As below I used the decorative top on the side bath panel and some of the upright timbers at the base of the panel.
The rest of the bath panel is made form some plywood and bits we had in the shed and stained to tone in with the other wood. My other half Padraig made the main panel for me as I'm a bit of a disaster with wood lol

The mirror was one that was in the house when we bought it and I just upcycled it with a new hand made frame. I used the backs of skirting board that I got in Woodies for 4.99 each (I needed 2). I stained them to tone in and then used four decorative corners off the hallstand to finished the front :)
Attached Images

melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links