Thread: Wildlife Pond
View Single Post
Old Posted: 21-03-2012 , 03:44 PM #2
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfrozen
Can someone answer me a question? - I have a new "wildlife" pond, which is still a bit bare. My question is this: Do I need a pump or aeration device or will it be okay. The opinions seem to be strongly divided. Some say it is absoultely necessary. Others say not at all and nature will look after itself. Bear in mind I dont mind a bit of a green murky pond as I am trying to attract wildlife not make it decorative. Do any of you actually have a pond without a pump/filter/aeration device?

Thanks
Hi there, I have an artificial pond but it was well established when we came here. It does have a pump but it is not on all the time--it pumps water to the top of a little waterfall and recirculates it. The trick is to get an eco balance going I think. You need to plant some pond plants which you will get at some garden centres or pond places. You need oxygen producing ones and others. Also we introduced some fish which grew into quite lagre fellows over a few years. Have just added tadpoles to the pond--found them in a puddle down the road--honestly some frogs are such bad parents--leave their babies anywhere--all it would take is a tractor to pull in to the side of the road and the puddle in a tractor rut would be wiped out.
Anyway, enjoy creating your wildlife area, but it does take some intervention on your part or you will end up with a smelly, stagnant pool full of green weed. Eibhlin.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote