View Single Post
Old Posted: 19-04-2011 , 10:18 AM #212
Merienne

Someone mentioned checking your receipt for overcharges, and I agree! In Tesco they have some policy that if you have been overcharged and go the customer service, you get your money back, and get to keep the item.

I also always compare prices to see what size packet is cheaper of the same product. You would think that the biggest size is cheaper, because of less packaging, but that is not the case in Ireland! Refills are not always cheaper either, which really makes me angry. You should have an incentive for buying the environmentally friendly one, especially since the package material cost is less for the producer! I still buy refills if they are the same price though, for the environmental benefit. Probably reinforcing the high price in the process, so maybe I'm stupid for doing so.

I always stock up on hygiene products and cleaning products when they are on offer. Things like that don't go out of date quickly, which can be a problem if stocking up on food.

I look at the "reduced" shelf for products that are about to go out of date. They often have ready meals, and these are fine a day or so after expiry, and good for bringing as lunches. If I'm not going to eat it within 2 days after expiry, I freeze it straight away, and it will be fine at least for a few weeks.

With all food items- don't just rely on expiry date, rely on your sense of taste, smell- and sight! In my native country, they have a huge campaign about this at the moment, because people throw out perfectly good food, just because it has passed the expiry date with a day or so. The only things I'm very careful about are meat and fish, especially if uncooked.

I travel a lot, and whether I'm going by car, train or plane, I bring sandwhiches or fruit, and a water bottle.