View Single Post
Old Posted: 07-06-2011 , 10:35 AM #220
Joewalshe

Default Money saving tips

Just found this thread and found some advice very useful. Here are a few of my tips;

1. Best way to save fuel is to list all the places you need to go to before jumping in the car. You could for example go shopping on the way to collect kids etc.
2. there are web sites out there that give practical fuel saving advice like emptying boot, correct tyre pressure, not filling fuel tank with heavy fuel etc.
3. My Wife, kids and friends all use the same mobile phone provider so we can call each other fro free as long as we top up every month.
4. When cooking food in a pot you can save time and money by bringing dish to a boil, turning off gas and covering pot with a towel or two. This stops the heat escaping and the dish slowly cooks while cooling down. Works best for rice, pasta etc. It is sometimes necessary to heat up before eating to cook through. I did this for years in when flat sharing. I would boil food in a pot, turn off heat, cover pot and go to work. Come home later and heat up.
5. Get car parts, or any appliance spare parts on-line. You can get mechanic to diagnose car problem, you get parts and mechanic fits them. I often get spares like side mirrors from scrap yards.
6. Having a community garden gets you socially involved with neighbours and you get to grow your own food. This is cheaper on materials but takes a lot of time. But is you enjoy it and enjoy the company then you are getting fresh air and exercise which is an added benefit.