View Single Post
Old Posted: 03-02-2011 , 09:45 PM #59
Fries-With-That

Default Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkenn
I have just bought a 1.8m, 3 blade rotor off eBay for use on my (large)houseboat.
Initially, I anticipate using a 2kW Landrover alternator, but want to progress to a homebuilt PMA. Right now, an hour/day of battery charging @20A from a diesel generator is sufficient, but I'm not yet running my fridge-freezer which will run off an inverter.
Comments please.

Forget about using an alternator as it would have to spin to fast (for a wind turbine) to generate power to charge batteries.

What you need is a permanent magnet motor, it operates differently to an alternator (which needs an external power source to start up), The PMA will start generating power as soon as it starts turning, much of this power will not be at a sufficient voltage to charge your batteries.

You need to have a turbine that generates 13-14 v an a reasonable blade speed otherwise it could shake itself to bits and the vibration and noise they produce would be a serious nuisance.

If you scroll down on this thread you will find several links on a previous post to several sites that offer you the information you need.

I suggest you get your hands on an electric motor from a treadmill and start from there.

Best of luck with this project.
Attached Images

Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote