View Single Post
Old Posted: 26-08-2009 , 09:53 PM #80
cdnmum

Default flowers/table favours

Hi, I got married on a really tight budget, as we were paying for our own wedding and my husband was still in school. I was the only one with a job so I paid for the whole wedding. It was in early October in Canada, which is when sunflowers bloom and when Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving. It's a time of year when everything seems to be ready to harvest so, in keeping with the season, I did my table decorations in a harvest theme. I planned ahead and bought three little terracotta pots for each table, some soil, and a few envelopes of mixed miniature sunflower seeds and planted them on the date recommended on the envelope. Now I'm no genius, but sunflowers are pretty easy to grow and they all came up and bloomed in time for the wedding. They looked great on the tables and since there were 6 people at each table every couple got to take one pot home... so there was no need for table favours. Total cost of flowers: $40. Also, I bought a mixture of small autumn produce items like apples, pears, mini squash etc. and put on on each person's plate with a little name tag pinned on the front that I had made myself using a calligraphy font on my computer at home. That cost around $15. I had lots of seeds left over and sprinkled them on the tablecloths with some red leaves and voila, the tables looked quite pretty. I know that it is different here in Ireland but I'm sure you could adapt these ideas to suit a season here, for example have a spring wedding and do potted bulbs or something... anyway, that's my two cent worth. Best of luck!
cdnmum is offline   Reply With Quote