View Single Post
Old Posted: 06-10-2008 , 08:42 PM #2
bluecurlygirl

Default Sorry guys

I hadn't gone into the link myself and just assumed it was an online petition. I didn't realise that you had to compile an email yourself. For anyone who is interested this is the email I've sent off. Feel free to copy and paste it/amend it and send it off yourselves to the following:
avril.doyle@europarl.europa.eu; kathy.sinnott@europarl.europa.eu; liam.aylward@europarl.europa.eu

This is the body text I've sent:

Earlier this year I had a little celebration when finally the G8 members agreed that co2 emissions had to be cut. It was time to look seriously at climate change and to take action, however conservative the targets were at least there were targets. Then it occured to me that this is in fact what leaders of nearly 200 countries signed up to in the original UN climate change convention at the 1992 Earth Summit. Be that as it may, I honestly believed that this time it would be taken seriously.

After all, on a daily basis we are being shown how climate change is affecting us. In five years time (yes five years) there will be no arctic ice caps during the summer months. So in five years time we will have successfully obliterated yet another species. Best get a polar bear stuffed and mounted shortly so we can show future generations what they looked like. Time is running out for us all unfortunately and we are helping to speed up the destruction of our beautiful home - planet earth.

Now I read that, not only are the targets not being taken seriously but the "Great" member countries are working very hard to undermine them by creating a system whereby you can buy a "licence to pollute". I wonder when the so-called "great" member countries were devising this plan if they happened to take a look at the US programme to reduce sulphur dioxide emissions to combat acid rain? Whereby in certain circles this project was viewed as a great success, it turned out to be highly detrimental to the poorer communities in which the pollution was allowed to continue. Surely, if a country exceeds its targets for reducing co2 emissions then that fact alone is reward enough? They don't need monetary gain also do they or has absolutely everything come down to money now even working together to save our planet?

Instead of spending money to buy emission credits from other member states, surely the money would be better spent educating people on methods of reusing, reducing and recyling etc. Spend money introducing alternative fuels. Ban coal fired power stations. Ban the spreading of slurry. By all means support developing countries with technology and funding to reduce their own emissions. But let's get our own house in order too. That would have a much more positive effect on our environment as a whole and in this time of recession, surely we should be spending our money WISELY not DESTRUCTIVELY.

I beg of you now, as an Irish Citizen born and bred, do not sign up to this highly dangerous and detrimental climate package - for all our sakes.

Sincerely,

(Your name here obviously)

Not exactly poetic I know but at least they have my opinion. Should've enlisted the help of a few people on here (tribesman!!!)
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote