Thread: Resell
View Single Post
Old Posted: 31-01-2008 , 07:22 PM #5
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi Everyone,

I think it's important not to over-estimate the extent of the re-selling of items collected from Givers on JumbleTown. One reason why so many fantastic items are passed on in the first place is the fact that furniture and computer equipment depreciate in value so much after purchase.

Admin has no data on, or particular interest in, the number of re-sellers/dealers on JumbleTown. However, out of a Membership of over 15 thousand, I'd be surprised if there were more than half a dozen, and only one or two actively taking at any one time. I also suspect that someone, somewhere, may have his living room stuffed to the ceiling with items collected from JumbleTowners, and the likelihood is that they may remain in situ for a long period of time because selling items quickly and at a profit is a difficult thing to do. (Potential) Re-sellers have to consider the following: can they afford the time and trouble of collecting an item, storing it, and then hopefully selling it on? I suspect that very, very few JumbleTowners can.

Finally, the relationship between Givers and Takers is similar to a quid pro quo situation. This is how Admin sees it:

The Giver gets more space in their home/workplace, saves money by not hiring someone to take away their item, and hopefully gains some satisfaction from the fact that they are saving items from costly recycling and landfill schemes while also helping a member of their community at the same time;

The Taker saves money by getting a useable/useful item for free and should gain satisfaction not only from his/her life-cycling of an item and saving it from pre-mature recycling/landfill but also from the fact that another tree doesn't have to be cut down to provide him with a table, or that X amount of waste is not generated or X amount of energy consumed just to satisfy his need for any other type of item you can think of. (I commented a while back on another thread that the production of a single car produces around 6 times its own weight in waste; a computer generates around 28 times its own weight in waste during production. Of course, after a few short years, the car or computer usually becomes (premature) waste itself, and thus the cycle of wastefulness continues.)

Admin realises that some JumbleTowners may find the idea of re-selling distasteful, but as the thoughtful posts above state, it is impossible for Admin to monitor or police what happens off the Board. Furthermore, neither Admin nor Members are in a position to make a true assessment as to the "neediness" or otherwise of anyone who uses the site.

The suggestion that Givers who are opposed to the practice of someone selling on their item should state "Not for Re-sale" on their ads would surely deter most if not all who have "re-sale" in mind. However, from my experience of monitoring ads over the past two years, I'd say that most Givers are just happy to clear up space in their home/workplace with a minimum of hassle and at no cost to their pocket or the environment. The fact that someone benefits from their generosity (either through re-use or re-sale) should only add to their satisfaction of a job well done.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Regards
Chris P
Admin