JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 22-05-2009 , 11:33 PM #1
tasmin

Default Old money - any repurposing suggestions?

hi all, i have just been cleaning out my mams things and was surprised to find a jar of money.

this must have been hidden in her wardrobe for years, because i had to control her money for almost 8 years while i was looking after her, because she had alzheimers.

my question is...any ideas of what i can do with it?
i was thinking of putting it on an old coffee table and placing glass over it.

though i would be grateful for some ideas

theres all kinds of old money in this jar, a 5 pound note, and english half pennys from the 50s.

i laughed when i found this, because we used to have a running joke about mam hiding her money under the lino lol.
we never though of looking in an old shoe box in the back of the wardrobe where she hid her money in a jar :-)

does anyone know how i could clean these up?
all the best,

Irish
tasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 22-05-2009 , 11:57 PM #2
jmb

Default old money

I think the idea of putting it on a coffee table with glass over it is a great idea. It would be a great conversation piece when people come to your house and it would also look great.I'm not sure how you would clean it but I'm sure somebody else will write in with suggestions. Regards Jane
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-05-2009 , 12:53 AM #3
thepallasbull

Default old money

HI , The heading says it all [ old money ] old money is best left as is because if you clean them they no longer look old and loose some of their interest
I my self have a collection of old coins like them some back to pre 1920 and would never clean them they loose value.But as you said the coffie table is a great idea but make sure you use plate glass ,its stronger
Regards
Pat
thepallasbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-05-2009 , 12:58 AM #4
thepallasbull

Default od money

tasmin , just in case you do want to clean the old coins soak them in vinigerworks well on old penny;s as its acid based.
Regards
Pat
thepallasbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-05-2009 , 07:56 AM #5
Bootss

You could make a frame for it with sections, and could fix the frame to a coffee table top, then close it in with glass, great when its done. I spent a full weekend doing a picture with pasta/rice/lentils and coins for a design assignment for college, it looks brilliant hanging up. You could go with a picture as well, if you wanted another interesting talking piece.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/DSCF1086.jpg
Here is the picture to give you an idea. It is A1 in size

Regards:Bootss
Bootss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-05-2009 , 02:12 PM #6
Fries-With-That

Default don't use vinegar

Hi,

Don't use vinegar on old money, copper/silver cleans up very well with duraglit wadding. You can but this in most supermarkets.

Many older coins (silver coloured) actually contain real silver, if you use vinegar it will turn them black. If you do this you will never get them clean.

Clean the coins with duraglit then polish with a soft cloth/tissue, then you can wash them in a mild washing up liquid solution, let dry and if you want to put them on display you should spray paint them with clear varnish or lacquer.

Old notes can be gently washed in a mild solution of washing powder and luke warm water. don't crush the note, let it lay flat in the solution and gently wipe with a soft sponge ( make up/baby sponge is ideal).

These will look great under glass on a coffee table.

Support the glass on those felt pads you get for the feet of furniture.

I'd love to see a picture when you're finished.

Regards,

Fries.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-05-2009 , 07:26 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin -- thread cleaned up

Hi Everyone,

A recent post on this thread has been removed. The poster -- a new sign-up -- has received a permenant ban from the website.

If anyone who has subscribed to this thread receives a notification email of this post, they should ignore/delete it.

Apologies for any inconvenience and/or upset.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-05-2009 , 08:39 PM #8
minnie pal

Default old money

coffee table idea great, make a grid with inch high stripes and in each grid make some with coins and others with old pics of your ma and maybe one or two small items she liked, or invites or small cards or photos too, just to have a conversation piece, even theatre programes or anything really, related to your mam
or get one nice black and white pic of your mother and put it in the middle and surround with the coins and make a brighter border all round if some coins are brighter than the rest.
i agree, a small buff with wash up liquid and warm water is all i'd put on the coins.
xminnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-05-2009 , 09:08 PM #9
bluecurlygirl

Can't offer any advice on the cleaning. Just wanted to say that Bootss picture is fab.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-05-2009 , 09:47 PM #10
Bootss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecurlygirl
Can't offer any advice on the cleaning. Just wanted to say that Bootss picture is fab.

Thanks bluecurlygirl :)
Bootss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-05-2009 , 12:16 AM #11
tasmin

Default thanks all

just wanted to say thank you all for the info and ideas.

minnie pal, loved the grid idea!
i have other small things that i could use.

my friend bro was sick of his bland table, so he ordered toughened glass for his table and put loads of new, old photos...i though this was brilliant, and we chatted all night about the photos :-)

i must say, the clothes back in the 60s/70s left a lot to be desired lol.

thanks again,

Tas
tasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-05-2009 , 02:09 PM #12
bluecurlygirl

Tasmin, someone on here used old notes to create charms for a charm bracelet. Maybe admin have the link?

Found it myself so amended the post to include it. Here you go...
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/show...charm+bracelet
Old Posted: 25-05-2009 , 02:22 PM #13
biker chick

Quote:
Tasmin, someone on here used old notes to create charms for a charm bracelet. Maybe admin have the link?

Found it myself so amended the post to include it. Here you go...
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/show...charm+bracelet

Thanks bluecurlygirl,this was started originally by my great great grand mother for her daughter & was passed down through generations,my mums charm bracelet is gold & is overflowing in old Irish notes dating back donkeys years,she even has the old ploughman notes in her charm bracelet which are now worth a small fortune now if sold but her charm bracelet is very old & has many a lovely story to tell the grandkids,it is a fab keepsake.the one shown in the link is a one ive started for my daughter....you would need a proper gold or silver smith to ensure they are incased in the chambers properly....good luck
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-05-2009 , 02:41 PM #14
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker chick
Thanks bluecurlygirl,this was started originally by my great great grand mother for her daughter & was passed down through generations,my mums charm bracelet is gold & is overflowing in old Irish notes dating back donkeys years,she even has the old ploughman notes in her charm bracelet which are now worth a small fortune now if sold but her charm bracelet is very old & has many a lovely story to tell the grandkids,it is a fab keepsake.the one shown in the link is a one ive started for my daughter....you would need a proper gold or silver smith to ensure they are incased in the chambers properly....good luck

Hope you didn't mind me posting the link here biker chick but it's a really lovely idea. What about encasing some photos as well???
Old Posted: 25-05-2009 , 02:48 PM #15
biker chick

Quote:
Hope you didn't mind me posting the link here biker chick but it's a really lovely idea. What about encasing some photos as well???

Not at all,its great to get ideas from different people & thats a great idea too...well done
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote