JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 11-11-2008 , 07:56 PM #1
Country Mother

Default Energy saving tips (Eco-Kettles etc.)

Hi everyone,

With the current economic downturn, and increase in ESB charges by 17% and more increases due from 1st January 2009, I have started to make alot of energy saving changes in our home:-

(1) Stopped using the tumble dryer. Pulled out the plug and now it
remains idle. Dry clothes on a clothes horse which was supposed to
be a shoe rack from Argos. Leave the clothes horse in living room at
night when fire is lit. During the day if I can't put out clothes to dry, I
leave the clothes rack in a spare room that I am not using and the
will dry slowly until they can be trasnferred to living room at night. No
one sees them or the clutter they can cause.

(2) Fitted energy saving bulbs, even to bedside lamps.

(3) Instead of using the table lamps in the living room areas, when I am at home in the evening/night, I light tea lights and put them in holders. They cast a lovely warm glow and cost very little. You can buy pkt of 24 in any pound shop for 2 euros. They last for ages especially if you freeze them first.

(4) When we turn on the oil heating, I pull the curtains in the rooms, close the doors and in the rooms that we don't use, we only turn on the radiators there every 2nd night. My son is even beginning to get used to having been told to close his bedroom door!

Evaluation: My recent ESB bill was down 25 euros and that was with the new increase since September. If that was my old bill it would have been 40 euros down. It works and you have to persevere and then it becomes automatic with you.... you just adapt.
TRY IT EVERYBODY AND SEE HOW MUCH YOU SAVE ON ESB ALONE

Country Mother
Country Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 20-11-2008 , 12:19 AM #2
bluecurlygirl

Default Good going

Some good advice there. Doing most of that already but the feckers in esb keep estimating my bill. Does anyone else have that bother? I thought they could only estimate two a year - and the meter is outside so they don't need access. But even without seeing it on the bill I know it's making a difference. Although thanks for reminding me of the candles. I've run out and have to get more.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-11-2008 , 12:28 AM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin: Flask or Eco-kettle

Here's an old but simple tip that saves energy, time and money...

If you find yourself boiling the kettle several times a day just to make one cup of tea, what you should do is boil a full kettle first thing in the morning, use whatever you need for your one cup, and then pour the rest of the boiling water into a (good) thermos flask to use throughout the day. Saves time, lecky, and moolah!

If you don't fancy the thermos flask option, you should buy an eco-kettle, which has a special feature that allows the user to fill the kettle to its maximum, but then allows them to boil one to eight cups according to their requirements. Details here:

http://www.ecokettle.com/ECOKETTLE.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 12:29 AM #4
jenniferalan

Default Eco Kettle

Hi, was just reading through some old threads. I think this Eco kettle is a great idea, does anyone know if it is possible to get one of these in Ireland?
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 05:52 AM #5
nanonano

Default ESB estimated bill

If you get an estimated bill, call the ESB give them the exact reading and they send out a new bill. If you don't have the key for the meter they send out that as well.
nanonano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 08:33 AM #6
cavalin

My last bill was an estimate and l rang in the numbers to them,it was 100E over,very worth while ringing them in my case.
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 09:14 AM #7
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanonano
If you get an estimated bill, call the ESB give them the exact reading and they send out a new bill. If you don't have the key for the meter they send out that as well.

In the past (in another house) if they estimated when I rang in I was told it would appear on my next bill. Also, I don't have key to the outside box. But I'll be ringing them to get one. I was told that legally they cannot estimate more than two in a twelve month period. Does anyone know if that's true?
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 11:00 AM #8
betsy10112000

yeah i thought it was only 2 in a 12 month period aswel!!
just a quick note for these who find it hard to get energy saving light bulbs to fit their lights,try ebay.they sell every type of bulb you can imagine and a fraction of the price you would pay in the shop over here.i have the most oddest,smallest bulbs i have ever seen in my living room and the only place i could buy them was in a lighting shop and they were 10 euro each!!! and not even energy saving!!

i went online to see if i could buy them more energy efficient and i found energy saving ones on ebay.they were 99cent for 5 bulbs and ony 5.99 euro postage and packing,wow i made a great saving on them.they even do energy saving strip lighting in all sizes,

i saw a programme advertised on tv the other day thats shows you how to recycle your old light bulbs too,but cant remember what channel its on or what day either,but i know its on in the next few days,so if anyone knows what its called,when its on and the channel it would be great to find out.
:)
betsy10112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-02-2009 , 09:07 AM #9
katie42

Default keys

hiya have found that a pair of plyers opens the outside box so that might help to get a proper reading!.
katie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-02-2009 , 11:37 AM #10
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferalan
Hi, was just reading through some old threads. I think this Eco kettle is a great idea, does anyone know if it is possible to get one of these in Ireland?
Hi jenniferalan,

I've no idea of which high-street retailers stock the eco-kettle but it can be bought online. Here's a company based in Co Meath:

http://www.agtec.ie/products/eco/Eco_Kettle_buy.html

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-02-2009 , 01:12 PM #11
rccrchickie

I found energy saving bulbs in the local cheap shop for €3. I have just moved and put them in the outside lights. My partner complains that they are rubbish, but then he dosen't contribute to the bills, so tough.

You can also give ESB your meter reading online via their website. I had major problems with estimated bills at my old flat, the meter box was in the communal hall and was only read after 8 months of me being in there and an extra €300 being added to my following bill. I was far from happy. My monthly DD Jumped by €70 a month. it caused me major financial problems and ESB were far from helpful.
rccrchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-02-2009 , 02:41 PM #12
collin

Default Hy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrchickie
I found energy saving bulbs in the local cheap shop for €3.

I want to ask about energy saving bulbs. Moved house and need a few more. Does anyone know if there are any special offers as I only found one for 5 euros. I would need 8 so would be great to buy them cheap and in bulk.

Thanks
collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-02-2009 , 03:52 PM #13
deeva

Default Energy Saving Lightbulbs

I bought lots of bulbs in Homebase a few months ago when they vere doing a special promotion, pack of 5 (Philips brand) for 3euro.
They're not as cheap now but I still think it's the cheapest place to buy them, worth a look i tere's one near you. They also do 10% off days there (monthly I think).
deeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-02-2009 , 01:02 PM #14
TheBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeva
I bought lots of bulbs in Homebase a few months ago when they vere doing a special promotion, pack of 5 (Philips brand) for 3euro.
They're not as cheap now but I still think it's the cheapest place to buy them, worth a look i tere's one near you. They also do 10% off days there (monthly I think).
I was about to mention that Homebase promo. Now, usually I dismiss them as a multi-national corporate giant, but in this instance, it worked out well. 60c per bulb, fantastic value! Different places have different offers from time to time, so when I spot one, I tend to buy loads and stock up. They'll last me until the next offer comes around.
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-02-2009 , 05:45 PM #15
Ecoprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy10112000
yeah i thought it was only 2 in a 12 month period aswel!!
just a quick note for these who find it hard to get energy saving light bulbs to fit their lights,try ebay.they sell every type of bulb you can imagine and a fraction of the price you would pay in the shop over here.i have the most oddest,smallest bulbs i have ever seen in my living room and the only place i could buy them was in a lighting shop and they were 10 euro each!!! and not even energy saving!!

i went online to see if i could buy them more energy efficient and i found energy saving ones on ebay.they were 99cent for 5 bulbs and ony 5.99 euro postage and packing,wow i made a great saving on them.they even do energy saving strip lighting in all sizes,

i saw a programme advertised on tv the other day thats shows you how to recycle your old light bulbs too,but cant remember what channel its on or what day either,but i know its on in the next few days,so if anyone knows what its called,when its on and the channel it would be great to find out.
:)

My esb was estimated for one year that was every reading for a year. I got €150 back and paid no bill in December.

Lived without electricity for 4 years and thinking of going back that way.
Ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote