JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 11-02-2009 , 09:18 PM #16
IRISH_iiiis

Another idea would be to give them to kids to glue buttons on and material shaped noses/lips to make puppets theyd get hours of fun doing this and can make a few each...... great for rainy days... then have a puppet show!!!!
IRISH_iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-02-2009 , 09:19 PM #17
IRISH_iiiis

forgot to add the wool for hair lol
IRISH_iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-02-2009 , 08:19 AM #18
reebok

Default odd socks

this probably isn't the best solution, as you have to throw them away afterwards, but I always keep a few in the bathroom, and use them to dry off/polish the loo after I've cleaned it. Then I just throw them away. (Don't like the thought of using re-usable cloths for this).
Like I say, not the greenest idea, but at least they are getting a second function before they go in the bin.
But... I have found out from doing this, that they are great for any kind of cleaning or dusting - especially awkward things, because you can wear them like a glove and really get in to the corners.

Ha ha you would think the house is spotless... when actually I've just got as far as putting all the odd socks aside...
reebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-02-2009 , 10:18 PM #19
The Mammy

You could fill some with some bicarb and essential oils and shove in your drawers and wardrobes to keep things smelling fresh, or even tucked behind something as a home-made air freshener.

cheers
Also I just found this.....
http://www.wikihow.com/Recycle-Your-Socks
The Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 08:20 AM #20
wells

Default sox

hey jen,

I fill odd sock with dried lavender and just knot the top and keep them under or near my pillow when i sleep - lavender helps you sleep. you could also do this but keep them in your drawers to make smell nice - similar to above. you could also fill with catnip and let your cat go crazy!
wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 08:23 AM #21
cavalin

l thought erveryone knew! its the socky monster who lives in the washing machine, gets hungry every now and then. My big sis told me this when l was young, scared me silly for ages...cavalin
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 08:27 AM #22
wells

Default :-s

the socky monsters are also related to the goblins that steal lighters - pesky!
wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 08:42 AM #23
cavalin

l bet both of them move things as well.
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 08:55 AM #24
el_loco_blanco

Default Uses for old socks

I have two uses for old socks.

1. Use them as kiddy dusters. If you have a number of kids (get some from the neighbourhood if you like) get each one to wear a sock on their hand. Then tell them you are playing a game! Give them 10 mins to run around the house rubbing the sock on all the surfaces. The kid with the dirtiest sock after 10 mins wins a prize. It is a great way to give them a sense of achievement and get some dusting done. You can give them tips to the best places for dust such as between the bannisters on the stairs or along the skirting boards etc. For dark socks where the dust cannot be seen use a mug of water to rinse the sock after. The child with the dirtiest sock wins!

2. Bigger socks make very nice plastic bag holders! You can sow on decorations, old buttons etc to make that tired old sports sock into something unique.

In relation to the draft excluder my granny in the 70's and 80's used to make them. She got an old pair of tights and filled one of the legs with the socks and then stuffed the rest of the tights in at the top and tied it off with a nice ribbon. Using wool them she would embroider a nice pattern on it.
el_loco_blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 10:10 AM #25
TeresaH

We have a sock monster, goblins, borrowers and even a “little green man” that gets in through the kitchen window and eats the biscuits!

Some great ideas for odd socks. I invested in a small laundry bag thing. You pop the socks into it and zip it up, the sock monster can’t seem to master the zip and so all the socks that go in come back out again. I’ve seen them in the laundry section of supermarkets and in Euro shops.
TeresaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-02-2009 , 11:58 PM #26
jenniferalan

wow, who would have known that there are so many uses for odd socks!

Thanks for all the replies :) I'm slowly becoming more Eco-friendly everyday!

I love the idea of using socks as air fresheners for wardrobes and chest of drawers, i am a big fan of essential oils so I have a good few different types I can try out.

Great idea for having a lavender filled sock near your bed, I have terrible sleeping probs

I'm going to try out the heatpacks tomorrow and I'll keep ye updated with how I get on! :)

Thanks again,

Jen
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-10-2010 , 02:20 PM #27
TickTock

This is a very timely thread as I am just about to clear out a load of solo socks. I hadn't even thought what could be done with them - now I've loads of ideas. Thanks everyone.

I don't know where all the socks go, but I did wonder this morning, how come I've got so many knives in my kitchen drawer, but very few forks? Where have all my forks gone?
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-10-2010 , 10:01 PM #28
Henriette

Default Mystery solved...

...but it the explanation is in German. ;-)
http://www.wdrmaus.de/sachgeschichte...e.php5?id=2602

As you can see in the video socks can slip into the gap between the washer drum and the gasket. Once they're in there they tend to wrap themselves around the heating element, and with the continuous movement and heat they simply dissolve after some time!
After I learned what happens to our socks I always put them into a mesh wash-bag, I'm tired of buying them by the dozen! I have a whole box full of single-socks hoping to someday meet their partner again! :-D
Henriette is offline   Reply With Quote