Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 17-11-2008 , 10:02 AM #16
John Kieran

Default Nettles

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecos
Hi All,

I'm looking for a way to get rid of nettles, they have spread like wildfire throught my back garden, also i have a cat and a dog so i'm looking for a pet friendly way to do this, i've tried roundup and garlon, but this just kills everything not to mention having to keep the pets in all day. anyone got any eco & pet friendly solution ?

Thanks in advance

Hi I just wanted to let you know that if you have a compost bin you shoudl cut nettles regularly and throw them into bin a s they are the brilliant for making compost...they also attract butterflies in the summer!

John Kieran
John Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-01-2009 , 02:05 PM #17
Headwave

Default Nettles

You could just keep strimming them till they run out of growing energy but it might be better to strim them then mulch the site with cardboard till the roots die.

Don't like noisy strimmers and using petrol?: You could just fell them with a plank of wood with a length of rope tied to each end, forming a loop as a handle. You then just start at one end of your nettle patch and stand the board onto them. As you raise your foot pull on the rope to keep it in contact with your foot as you go for the next step forward.
This is how them lads did those crop circles years ago.
Then with all the nettles flattened cover with old cardboard, carpet or some other light stopping barrier and leave all to rot. Stake, pin or weigh whatever you use with boards and blocks.

It's winter now so they should have died back some anyway so just go for direct light block.

Rot the cut nettles in a barrel to make a liquid plant feed or go with the compost option mentioned. Don't compost the seed heads if in seed at the time.
Headwave is offline   Reply With Quote