Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 29-07-2008 , 04:44 PM #1
erica

Default Sponsorship From An Post

Hi ChrisP & Dave

There seems to be a large number of items being exchanged by post, by JT members. I think that An Post must be making a profit on the back of Jumbletown, so it might be worth considering asking them to place an ad or at least do a leaflet drop free of charge.... Just a thought!
erica is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 29-07-2008 , 05:20 PM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica
There seems to be a large number of items being exchanged by post, by JT members. I think that An Post must be making a profit on the back of Jumbletown, so it might be worth considering asking them to place an ad or at least do a leaflet drop free of charge.... Just a thought!
Hi erica,

I'll pass your suggestion on to the marketing team because, as you say, quite a number of items are posted. The fact that some Members are kind enough to go to the trouble of posting an item shows real JumbleTown spirit.

However, JumbleTown's managers hope that the posting option will be used less often in future. Greater localisation of the Giving and Taking process (“life-cycling”/ re-use) is beginning to happen as membership of the site increases. While we are glad that items are passed on/re-used (even if the Giver decides to post an item, or a Taker has to travel 20 km to collect), from an environmental and community perspective it is clearly better if the Giving and Taking happens at local level. This will only come about as a result of a wider use of the site, with items being passed on to people down the street, in the neighbouring estate, or on the opposite side of the mountain. If/when this happens, we can say that the site has reached its true potential and sending an item by post will become a very rare event.

Ideally, the "someone" in our slogan "Someone, Somewhere Wants It!" should be located within a few hundred metres of the Giver. In fact, you might even know that "someone" by name or to see -- the point is they didn't know that you had an item to pass on but thanks to JumbleTown (with a bit of help from something called The Net!) you have been brought together for your mutual benefit. I could go on about how JumbleTown relates to the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory, but I'm sure you get the idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

Thanks for the suggestion, erica. Sure, before we know it, we might even have a commemorative set of JumbleTown stamps with the faces of well-known JumbleTowners staring out at us!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

PIC BELOW: JumbleTown's Givers and Takers -- certainly less that six degrees of separation.
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-07-2008 , 05:55 PM #3
unapam

Default Local giving and taking

My mug on a stamp????....WANTED: Facelift!

Seriously though, I say again.. people might consider putting up a posters in their own locality it would generate both giving and taking of items in...their own locality.

...and how about the American idea of a household having a yard sale? I wonder why it has never caught on here. HHmmmm..probably the weather!

I have an idea...see photos. I have just put this out on my garden wall. I provided a paper bag for the taker to put it in. I'll let you know what happens!

UPDATE: It's gone! Two hours it sat there and now it's gone. I don't know who took it but I hope they enjoy it. I am going to do this again and this time I'll put a small flyer with Jumbletown details in the bag.
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-09-2008 , 11:59 AM #4
mariameca

Default An post Sponsorship

I think that is a great idea as you are quite right about JT doing allot of exchanges through the post, sure I do it myself
Mariameca
mariameca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-10-2008 , 09:34 PM #5
junkrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unapam
I have an idea...see photos. I have just put this out on my garden wall. I provided a paper bag for the taker to put it in. I'll let you know what happens!

UPDATE: It's gone! Two hours it sat there and now it's gone. I don't know who took it but I hope they enjoy it. I am going to do this again and this time I'll put a small flyer with Jumbletown details in the bag.

Great post, and an excellent experiment!
junkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-10-2008 , 09:14 PM #6
Teish

Location: Away with the fairies most of the time but physically Cork
Default Jumble Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by unapam
My mug on a stamp????....WANTED: Facelift!

Seriously though, I say again.. people might consider putting up a posters in their own locality it would generate both giving and taking of items in...their own locality.

...and how about the American idea of a household having a yard sale? I wonder why it has never caught on here. HHmmmm..probably the weather!

I put posters into everyone's post box at work so they should be hanging in a fair few canteens in Cork.

I remember years ago whenever I needed a few bob I'd put all my toys out on the wall & shout JUMBLE SALE.

Funny I never see or hear kids doing that anymore but I love this site, It's such a great idea!
Teish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-10-2008 , 09:20 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teish
I put posters into everyone's post box at work so they should be hanging in a fair few canteens in Cork.

I remember years ago whenever I needed a few bob I'd put all my toys out on the wall & shout JUMBLE SALE.

Funny I never see or hear kids doing that anymore but I love this site, It's such a great idea!
Thanks for your help and support, Teish. Much appreciated!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote