Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 12:47 PM #1
Laineymc

Default Failing to collect items

On several occassions I have advertised some items for giving away and have made arangements for those items to be collected by fellow Jumbletowners, only to be left waiting indoors for the person to call and not to appear at all. It is so annoying. Last night i waited for two people to come and collect stuff and not a word from them as to not being able to call. One person lives in the same town so it's not like it was miles away. A simple pm or text message to say they couldn't make it would be so helpful and proper etiquette as I think fleur had mentioned on another post.

Sorry for the rant but I am a bit annoyed about this. :-)

Kind regards

Laineymc
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 01:42 PM #2
gillo

Default failure to collect

Can't say I blame you for being annoyed. The same happened to me over the weekend, waited in all day and not a word from taker, even after I sent a pm to see if they were still interested. Luckily I found another taker so the item is gone now but it's frustrating nonetheless. Maybe the best way we can get our own back is to ignore that user's posts in future when they express interest in any item we're giving away. Just a thought
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 04:13 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi Laineymc and gillo,

You both seem to have had your patience tested by folks who have failed to maintain good communications. This may be for a number of reasons -- computer/internet/phone trouble, family/business matters, or perhaps sheer forgetfulness -- there could be umpteen reasons.

We offer a possible solution to this in our "Good Communications" sticky at the top of the Support Forum, where we suggest the following in point #6:

"When arranging for an item's collection, we recommend that Givers and Takers phone each other ONE HOUR before the agreed time. This is to confirm that the later appointment is still mutually convenient."

More here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=6871

Let's hope the next Takers you deal with keep their appointments or at least inform you of their inability to keep to the previously agreed collection-time. A small minority should not disrupt the good work of the majority!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 03-11-2008 , 05:37 PM #4
Laineymc

Default Failure to collect

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Good advice.

Kind regards

Laineymc
Old Posted: 01-12-2008 , 02:07 PM #5
The Mammy

Default Bumping this

Bumping this....Waiting.....
Old Posted: 01-12-2008 , 11:49 PM #6
cavalin

Thats so unfair.Well you can only look at it one way! they don,t deserve to get your stuff
Old Posted: 02-12-2008 , 08:43 PM #7
kilk

i was left waiting recently and yes it it very frustrating, i hung around all eve for a taker to call, no phone, text, pm.. nothing! the taker got back to me the next day as if nothing had happened!
i wonder do people think that because an item is free that the giver's time is free too?
i feel like putting a price on the next item if the taker is late in collecting!!
Old Posted: 02-12-2008 , 09:57 PM #8
betsy10112000

Default failed to turn up

Hi guys

to be honest i dont know how you feel because i have never been let down by any JTers(yet) but just to put your mind at ease its not the majority of JTers though,just the odd one or two.

just dont let it get you down to much as jumbleown is a great place really,just think even though sometimes we get frustrated we are helping the environment and recycling in the end :)

merry christmas
Old Posted: 09-12-2008 , 11:25 PM #9
irishrover

This is the main reason that I search the wanted section and offer by pm to anyone looking. When something is offered people jump in to be first in line without thinking about whether or not the item would really be suitable or is it a pipedream they had not considered such an item until they saw it on offer. On the wanted section people have already decided that they can accomodate and use an item and are prepared to collect a genuine wanted item!
Old Posted: 10-12-2008 , 12:04 AM #10
kiara

this happened me this evening! not impressed!
Old Posted: 09-03-2009 , 01:35 PM #11
Sanf

Default Waiting.

Sorry for posting on an old thread but this waiting lark is still happening! Postponed dinner for ages on Sunday thinking a needful woman was on the way to collect stuff - looks like she's not that needful after all as she didn't bother to turn up nor did she call or text or pm (spoke to her at 2pm re 5pm appointment!!) . So do I scrap her and offer my things again or postpone dinner again ???
Old Posted: 09-03-2009 , 02:21 PM #12
jenniferalan

That's very annoying after going to the trouble of giving it away. I would say forget about previous poster and offer it up again. Give a date and time that suits u and say must be picked up then. perhaps take number from 2 people and then if first person doesn't arrive u could ring up the next person and they could then call over straight away and it would be out of ur way? Best of Luck
Old Posted: 09-03-2009 , 02:34 PM #13
Sanf

Thanks jenni, might try that idea.
Old Posted: 09-03-2009 , 04:43 PM #14
colmsmum

I'd give up on her altogether as Jenniferalan said. I know how you feel, it's happened to me a few times when I've waited in for people. I'm currently waiting on 4 replies over a week now, re: sae's & collection, have given up on them all & will just pass on the stuff to the next people in line.

Note For all takers- DON'T ASK FOR AN ITEM IF YOUR NOT WILLING TO COLLECT, SEND SAE OR INFORM THE GIVER OF A CHANGE OF PLAN!
Old Posted: 09-03-2009 , 10:20 PM #15
cheddarlane

Default not collecting

I posted a simular thread there a few weeks ago, as never saw this one, and chris p closed it off?

he said, 'we are all human'.

I was moving and needed rid of things. I did put things up in plently of time before moving, but my local vincent de paul got all the non collected bits.

Thankfully the things didn't go to waste, like you see things pilled high in skips around the place!

Only takes a bit of time out of your day to donate!

If people can't make it that is fine as I know things pop up, but when they just ignore you, but are still on line and putting their name down for another things is just rude.

have to say though, met some lovely people this past few months on JT!

My little girl says thanks so much for the lovely things. xo
Closed Thread