User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-06-2010 , 01:02 PM #1
mammasboys

Default Wildlife info

Just to let all those JT animal lovers about a brilliant new website:
http://irishwildlifematters.ie/

I am in currently looking after a poorly fox cub and the site is a wealth of information about foxes and other Irish wildlife.

Foxy update: Following my recent chat to vet, it appears that Foxy is suffering from some form of meningitis. The vet assures me there is no danger to us and that by maintaining the current regimen, we should see a vast improvement by Saturday morning. Apparently very young animals recover very well from this disease. There goes my sparse social life, and my house is a tip already!
Thanks for all the words of support. They're much appreciated.

PS. Following a visit to the vet, it was deemed that Foxy had suffered too much brain damage to survive with any quality of life, so he has passed quietly and quickly. RIP
Attached Images

mammasboys is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-06-2010 , 01:12 PM #2
mrsdavidbrent
Banned

Default fox cub

Hi Mammasboys
Thanks for that information, we'll definitely be having a look.Can I ask you please is there any chance in the world you could post a pic of your fox cub.My husband and I and our 2 little girls love wildlife (especially foxes) and I would love them to see him/her. Its so nice to hear that there are such kind people out there willing to look after our beautiful wildlife, rather than chase/hunt them to thier deaths.
Keep up the good work

Thanks sincerely
Lorraine
mrsdavidbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-06-2010 , 01:59 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Photo added.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-06-2010 , 03:42 PM #4
Bawnie

Default Great

Wow that's a great site.. Pity I couldn't send link of it to a friend.. :)
Just mind yourself foxes bite hard & dont let go, personal experience. They also get fleas & get a Tetanus for yourself to be on the safe side. Great work you are doing....Hope your posting your work somewhere.. What about Derek Mooney, Mooneyshow? Well done & good look MR. FOX with your recovery!
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-06-2010 , 05:11 PM #5
mw100860

Default re wildlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasboys
Just to let all those JT animal lovers about a brilliant new website:
http://irishwildlifematters.ie/

I am in currently looking after a poorly fox cub and the site is a wealth of information about foxes and other Irish wildlife.

Lovely to see somebody taking care of our wildlife. My husband loves wildlife too and has a great interest in swallows in particular. However there is a man in a senior position at his job ( agricultural business ) who knocks down all the nests as soon as they are built, eggs or not in them. He has been asked to stop but refuses. We contacted Birdwatch Ireland via email but got no reply. We know its illegal but we cannot really call the guards. Any suggestions?
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-06-2010 , 05:21 PM #6
Ruthy

Default swallows

Is he dead set on knocking down the nest no matter what, or is is just because of the mess from the droppings (they made a terrible mess on my new pellet boiler until I copped on and covered it with plastic for the summer). I saw a droppings board on the Alana Ecology website, it could be made up easily enough and attached below the nest site to catch the droppings and avoid the mess. I would put something like newspaper on the board (staple it on) which could be easily removed as needed. See the picture at http://www.alanaecology.com/acatalog...ngs_Board.html

Maybe if that was suggested to the senior guy as a solution (or just put up anyway) it might avoid the situation.
Ruthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-06-2010 , 09:16 PM #7
Bawnie

Default Senior Guy

What about the Wildlife Service? They might help. That old man sounds very unhappy with his unwelcome visitors but i still think that's very harsh. Maybe he doesn't know any better? Not that allowances need to be made but old habits die hard. Also what about Mooney on Radio 1, maybe he could help? Good luck
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-06-2010 , 09:06 AM #8
mrsdavidbrent
Banned

Default fox cub

Hi

Thanks so much for posting the pic. Is'nt he the most beautiful creature??I sincerely hope he gets well soon, thanks to your good self!!

Thanks

Lorraine
mrsdavidbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-06-2010 , 05:42 PM #9
mammasboys

Default Fox cub

Great news Jters
Foxy is now trying to walk and has just wolfed down a portion of mushed up cat food (a challenge for me as a veggie!).
Old Posted: 26-06-2010 , 09:48 AM #10
mammasboys

Default Wildlife - Foxy

Thought you might like to see Foxy. Taken this morning while he was taking some air.

PS. Following a visit to the vet, it was deemed that Foxy had suffered too much brain damage to survive with any quality of life, so he has passed quietly and quickly. RIP
Attached Images

Old Posted: 26-06-2010 , 09:47 PM #11
dtrc

Default foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasboys
Thought you might like to see Foxy. Taken this morning while he was taking some air.
Sorry to hear the little guy didn;t make it but well done to you for taking the time to look after him he looked so much better in the second photo. At least you have a nice memory. When we were young by brothers and i got our mum to care for a seagull with a bad wing in her lovely new conservatory, fair dues to her she did and seagull was realased back into the wild. After the seagull the conservatory was home to a jackdaw, a frog and a kitten, which we still have! she is now about 16yrs old!
dtrc is offline   Reply With Quote