Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 12-02-2008 , 11:56 AM #1
Butterflyj

Default Curious: funniest, unusual, fabulous items

Hi,

I am just curious as what are the funniest, unusual, fabulous items that have appeared on Jumbletown.

I have seen the starwars x-wing thread, the plasma tv, the trailer.

The saying one man's trash is another man's treasure really comes into it's own on this site.

I love it.

regards
Sylv
Butterflyj is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 12-02-2008 , 03:44 PM #2
HappyHunter

For me the most fabulous items were the Teak Double Glazed windows I got from a jumbletowner last year. I could never have afforded to buy new windows for this 100 year old ex miners cottage I bought two years ago which needed quite a bit of work.

Now I have fabulous view through these wonderful windows. They are my pride and joy.

K
HappyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-02-2008 , 03:36 PM #3
durran

my favourite item was a garden chair frame. My husband painted it and fitted wood to make the seat . I love it!
Attached Images

durran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-02-2008 , 01:13 AM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyj
Hi,

I am just curious as what are the funniest, unusual, fabulous items that have appeared on Jumbletown.

I have seen the starwars x-wing thread, the plasma tv, the trailer.

The saying one man's trash is another man's treasure really comes into it's own on this site.

I love it.

regards
Sylv
Hi Butterfly,

This is an interesting topic for a thread.

So -- the funniest, unusual, fabulous items? Where to begin? Every day, fantastic items are passed on by very generous Givers. There are, and have been, so many great ads that it's difficult to choose but some do spring to mind. I recall the poignant ad/thread where a Giver passed on a €4,000 accordian that had belonged to a loved one who had passed away.

A recent ad in the Wanted forum seeking shopping vouchers for a school in North Tipperary generated an amazing response.

Of course, the "belly-button warmer" was a huge success too:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=13573

I guess my favourite ad/thread is "Paintings", which can be viewed in the Home/Miscellaneous forum...here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4314

Thanks for starting this thread, Butterfly.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-02-2008 , 10:09 AM #5
carmen

Default this is the strangest post for me

this is the funniest post i seen dont think many people have one of these in their shed
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helicopter wanted
based in county Louth. I will travel to any part of the country to collect. I have a full chopper licence. I'll pay some small fee even if the craft needs some small repairs.
Makes and models are not important.
Needed for valuable marine research.
carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-02-2008 , 10:32 PM #6
unapam

Default Most fabulous find on Jumbletown

My most fabulous find (among many fabulous items) was when I replied to an ad on pure instinct. There was no picture and description just said "box of crockery and vases, some new"
I just happened to be online when it came active and it was just down the road from me. I was drawn to it for some reason and reasoned I could pass them on if they turned out to be of no use to me.

I was thrilled to pick up several large cardboard boxes of ...A new in box Beleek vase, two new in boxes Aynsley vases, a bronze lamp, two ceramic lamps, a new boxed set of Royal Albert china, six new mugs, several large urns, bamboo magazine rack, a brand new dinner service, a silver plated boxed set of cake servers and forks, and loads more small items too numerous to mention.
I used most items and passed the rest on to friends and relatives. Thank you so much to the woman in Swords Business Park. I am delighted with the items and they are being used every day! That's what it's all about! Here are some photos of the three gorgeous lamps on my desk and bedside.

PS. The headboard and bedspread and the desk all came from Jumbletowners or Dublinwasters!
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-03-2008 , 12:11 AM #7
bertrand

Default very un usual!!

I needed to do my attic to have more space in my attic, I asked a builder how much would cost me: 20 000 to 35000 Euros!!!!!

And one day a Jumbletowner was going to demolish his house and He had lots of things I needed like double layers radiators, curtains poles, wooden floor, fiberglass...etc...
The material was really in great shape...
I finished it today and I love it.

Anyway I love that site because of the contact you have with the people when you go collecting the stuff...it always finishes with a smile!!!

Good luck to everybody and we should have a dinner meeting to have a great laugh!!!

BYE NOW

Bertrand
bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-04-2008 , 02:17 PM #8
blackbeauty

The must wonderful thing i got from Jumbletown was a triple bunk bed with mattresses, I had just posted an ad in the wanted section but wasnt really expecting any replies, when suddenly i got one and it's not just getting the reply that touched me it was the manner and attitude of the givers, I made arrangment to have the bed picked up at a cost, but they offered not just to drop it off for free, BUT ACTUALLY SET UP THE BED IN MY KIDS ROOM (as am pregnant). Couldnt thank them enough! Thanks once more!
blackbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-04-2008 , 09:57 PM #9
colmsmum

Default Most fantastic item.

Hi All,

Today i received the most fantastic (& possibly unusual?) item from fellow jumbletowner 'mags2'. After posting an ad in the wanted section about a week & a half ago for a stair-lift for my father-in-law, mags2 contacted me on friday with an offer of one, which of course i accepted. We collected it today & i still can't believe it, i never expected a reply and especially so soon!
This is definitely my most fab & useful find so far because i know it'll be really appreciated & well used, so i'd just like to say thanks again to mags2 & her lovely mum for such a wonderful & kind offer. (And thanks to everyone else i've received items from, they have all been fantastic finds & very useful.)

Happy Jumbletowning!
colmsmum.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-06-2008 , 12:13 PM #10
littlemissbusy

Default My daughters new bed

Got this bed only yesterday, cleaned it down and gave it a new spray of paint. It was exactly what I was looking for, for my little girl's room. The room does look a wee bit on the pink shocking side, but both me and my daughter just love it.
Attached Images

littlemissbusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-06-2008 , 03:30 PM #11
ozieandros

Default Most marvellous thing on JT

I got on JT when we bought a ran down cottage. So costly to fix! I found a gorgeous Navan dresser and dining table with chairs. They take place of pride in my kitchen/Dining and I have yet to have one single visitor who does not remark on how beautiful they are. When I tell them where it came from as in JT. They look quite shocked! One even told me that I shouldn't say that! Say I bought it somewhere. My point is: Why lie? I'm as proud of it coming from JT than I would have been had I bought it in a shop (Not that i could have afforded it). Then a gentleman tried to rid his garden of slabs and sleepers. All put to good use in the garden. Finally, and as I am studying organic horticulture (Remember organic also means re using and recycling) I was in dire need of a wooden shed for my portfolio. I tried to find one for months. Some came along but someone else would get them before I even saw them advertised. My partner told me that, come what may, he would find me a shed. He'd borrow to buy one if he had to. i objected that we couldn't afford to pay back anything we borrowed; Also that buying a new one meant more damage to poor old mother nature as well. I was making a cup of tea last night when two JT friends spotted a garden shed looking for a new home. Both of them left a thread on the giver, asking him to consider me because I had been looking for one for ages. Giver contacted me and as I write this ... Partner is on his way to get the shed!

So to me marvellous things about JT are not solely the fact that we can find things we really need and can't afford (Most of us are struggling with prices going sky high these days) But also the joy of putting a smile on someone's face when we can arrange to meet them half way or on our way from one place to another and give them something they want. It's not just about taking although it's great but the giving! Make someone happy! Boy what a gorgeous feeling! It is not one of these cold sites where someone tells you "It's so much and that's that" Because it's free! But also allows for users to communicate, find out about one another as you PM and become on line pals.

Last but not least ... It's the feeling that in doing what we are doing, we contribute to our environment, in our own little way. Things have gone crazy and this planet of ours is in great danger of suffering worse losses than it's already sustained. Polar bears will be no more in 70 years. Thank goodness I shan't be around by then! I couldn't bear it. My 2 weeks old grand-daughter should have the right to see forests with trees thriving, know of wild animals living in the wild, not only see DVDs of places/Creatures destroyed simply because none of us worried about the affects of excess rubbish, destruction of rain forests and natural habitats for wild animals and global warming. With JT we re use and recycle and that my friends! Is the way to go about it! Not solely for my grand-daughter but for your children and grand-children too!

So marvellous things about JT to me? Quite a few!
ozieandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-06-2008 , 02:24 AM #12
unapam

Default ozieandros

Ozieandros....Well said. You have save me a lot of typing by putting up this post.
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-06-2008 , 01:01 PM #13
mar754

Default items from GENEROUS JUMBLETOWNERS

Ozieandros, That was just unreal agree with every would restore your faith in humen nature you hear such shocking things every day and then to meet Jumbletowners it is a breath of fresh air, long may it last. Congratulations to all.
mar754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-07-2008 , 10:55 PM #14
cheddarlane

Default Fabulous Items - Sports car

2 years ago, I was the 2nd person to reply to a sports car.

It was a limited edition, and I would of taken any old banger as at the time due a baby and standing waiting for Dublin Bus for over a hour each way and journey lasting longer!
Needed a car badly.

The person who was lucky to get the car, already had the same car and loved it so much..

**Are you out there?** :)

I missed out my 2minutes on posting.. I was gutted..

I was training a girl in work at the time and wasn't online as much..
I will never forget that..

But things happen for a reason, and always think that it might of broke down! :) mmm
cheddarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-07-2008 , 01:15 PM #15
Pups

i've never actually gotten anything but i've given away about 5 things so far and I won't stop until everything I have to give goes. I get such a buzz out of knowing that someone will use something that I would have otherwise put in a skip or the like, and like one poster says, it's the personal touch and knowing that you have helped somebody out that is the best thing.
Pups is offline   Reply With Quote